My first Jeep - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default My first Jeep

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and looking to buy my first Jeep, I have read a lot of information and still trying to take it all in so go easy on me

So like most buyers I'm trying to decide between second hand vs new, diesel vs rubicon and have been looking through carsales for modified examples.

I came across this particular one and it seems to tick all the boxes:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2155842/?Cr=4

I was hoping for some advice on buying second hand in general and specific comments about the upgrades on this truck as I want to avoid buying someone elses problems, such as:

1. The truck has had the Steinbauer chip fitted from new, from what the owner has told me it was the first one so was a kind of development mule, not sure if this was a good or bad thing? What impacts (if any) can I expect it has had on the engine over 80000km?
I would be very keen for advice/recommendations on a good diesel mechanic in Melbourne who I could use to assess the engine/compression etc?
2. The clutch was recently replaced, apparently due to water damage. While a new clutch may be a good thing for the next owner (assuming it hasn't been flogged), I have read a few issues with weak clutches, is this a common problem?
3. The truck is currently running 33's and I'm trying to find out the original diff ratio, I have read conflicting threads, some state that early 07 models have 4.1 while others say 3.73 or even 3.21, can someone confirm what it is?
The truck has ARB lockers fitted so I understand that if it has 3.73 or lower I will need to replace the ARB locker if I want to change the diff ratios to 4.1 or higher
4. It comes with a 2" Old Man Emu setup, I will most likely replace this with a 3-4" lift, can someone advise how easy it is to get an engineering certificate for lifts or do people generally not bother?

Ok, I think that is it for now, thanks in advance for any advice, I'm excited!
Old 11-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and looking to buy my first Jeep, I have read a lot of information and still trying to take it all in so go easy on me

So like most buyers I'm trying to decide between second hand vs new, diesel vs rubicon and have been looking through carsales for modified examples.

I came across this particular one and it seems to tick all the boxes:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2155842/?Cr=4

I was hoping for some advice on buying second hand in general and specific comments about the upgrades on this truck as I want to avoid buying someone elses problems, such as:

1. The truck has had the Steinbauer chip fitted from new, from what the owner has told me it was the first one so was a kind of development mule, not sure if this was a good or bad thing? What impacts (if any) can I expect it has had on the engine over 80000km?
I would be very keen for advice/recommendations on a good diesel mechanic in Melbourne who I could use to assess the engine/compression etc?
2. The clutch was recently replaced, apparently due to water damage. While a new clutch may be a good thing for the next owner (assuming it hasn't been flogged), I have read a few issues with weak clutches, is this a common problem?
3. The truck is currently running 33's and I'm trying to find out the original diff ratio, I have read conflicting threads, some state that early 07 models have 4.1 while others say 3.73 or even 3.21, can someone confirm what it is?
The truck has ARB lockers fitted so I understand that if it has 3.73 or lower I will need to replace the ARB locker if I want to change the diff ratios to 4.1 or higher
4. It comes with a 2" Old Man Emu setup, I will most likely replace this with a 3-4" lift, can someone advise how easy it is to get an engineering certificate for lifts or do people generally not bother?

Ok, I think that is it for now, thanks in advance for any advice, I'm excited!
G'day mate, first off, welcome to AJOR!! As far as the gearing, I think the best thing to do is ask the owner, I wouldn't imagine they would have locked the diff's without gearing, just seems like a waste to me.

With lift kit, Jeep Konection sold their 3.5" AEV kit with an engineer's certificate, perhaps give them a call and ask them if they still do this? You could also contact DBOR about getting vehicles engineered as their rigs are incredibly modified!!

Personally, I'd get it engineered if I was doing modifications outside of what was allowed. I'm a bit of a pessimist, so I prefer to be prepared for a worst case scenario, I'd be pretty shattered if I was involved in an accident and my insurance didn't cover it due to un-engineered modifications.
Old 11-06-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Task82, appreciate the advice.

Regarding the lockers, I asked the owner the gear ratio and they don't know what it came standard with but they didn't opt to upgrade when they fitted the locker, I agree it seems like a waste not to do it at the same time.

I will definitely get in touch with DBOR, I'm planning on some fox shocks anyway so will probably go through them.

Any tips on a diesel mechanic in Melbourne, I really want someone to give the car a once over before I lay down the cash and hopefully meet someone I can trust for my servicing going forward?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They come with 3.21 stock which can be optioned from the factory to 3.73. Rubicons come with 4.1
Old 11-06-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Postal,
I have read conflicting posts on the diff ratios, this thread seems to confirm the early 07 Diesels came with 4.1 ratios.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=107082
Old 11-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by task82 View Post
With lift kit, Jeep Konection sold their 3.5" AEV kit with an engineer's certificate, perhaps give them a call and ask them if they still do this? You could also contact DBOR about getting vehicles engineered as their rigs are incredibly modified!!
I spoke to Jeep Konection two weeks ago and they still do the engineers cert for the AEV lift. I'm seriously considering going this way myself.

Killer, talk to the boys at DBOR, they'll tell you a few horror stories about chipped diesels. Personally, I'd steer clear of an engine that was used for chip development, you could be buying a grenade
Old 11-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Thanks Task82, appreciate the advice.

Regarding the lockers, I asked the owner the gear ratio and they don't know what it came standard with but they didn't opt to upgrade when they fitted the locker, I agree it seems like a waste not to do it at the same time.

I will definitely get in touch with DBOR, I'm planning on some fox shocks anyway so will probably go through them.

Any tips on a diesel mechanic in Melbourne, I really want someone to give the car a once over before I lay down the cash and hopefully meet someone I can trust for my servicing going forward?

Thanks!
Glad I could help mate, I was digging through some old posts and I think this could be helpful. You can request a build sheet from Jeep to be emailed to you, you just need an American address, any American address will do as the information is emailed. Click the link below and enter the required data:

http://www.jeep.com/jeepcares

If the vehicle is a single owner and he hasn't touched the diffs beside fitting lockers, then this should help you out