WANTED ... KJ 2.8CRD auto trans - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-09-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WANTED ... KJ 2.8CRD auto trans

Hi all,
Well the 45RFE 4 speed auto in my 2.8 CRD has died ......

So where to go to buy a second hand unit ... the usual ph calls around the Melbourne 4X4 scene have yealded diddly squat.....

So its the forum to the rescue ( i hope)
Any & all help appreciated
Carl
Old 26-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

is it hard to convert the 2004 on 5 speed 45RFE to my 4 speed KJ ....
the final drive is the same ... im thinking a ECU change may be required as well .... Any thoughts folks
Old 26-09-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

Try these guys, might be able to get a second hand one. They're based in Harvey Bay, QLD but can ship anywhere.
http://www.jeepparts.com.au/
Old 26-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks Mik
parts request sent
Old 30-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

www.jeepparts.com.au

these guys know there shit ....
did you know the 45RFE is 5 speed only using the 4 ... Fact
with a quick trip to my dealership i can have my ECU flashed so as to convert my 4 speed auto shift sequence, into a 5 speed gotta love that
Old 27-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

45FRE - In the KJ diesel the box is actually a Chrysler 545RFE, it is a 6 speed box, but as a driver you can only manually select 1, 2, drop out overdrive, hence its described as a "four speed" box. ratios as below....

1st - 3.00:1
2nd - 1.67:1
2nd Prime - 1.50:1
3rd - 1.00:1
4th - 0.75:1
5th - 0.67:1
Reverse - 3.00:1

The use of a different TCM from other (Chrysler, Ram) vehicles is known and no doubt been played with, but I can't see the final overdrive ratio being changed though.

I would very much doubt a Chrysler dealer would do any ratio change, as in TCM reflash, for a KJ CRD.

other useless facts: The 545RFE box is also used in London Taxis' .....
Regards
Daz

Last edited by DarrenR; 27-10-2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: more useless info
Old 27-10-2013
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Well I have heard a different story. The 545RFE is a six speed box, having two second gears, one which is used going up and the other going down. It is a five speed box assuming your counting the overdrive gear. I believe it is the same box as the 645RFE which of course has six speeds and this is possible due to the planetary gear arrangment. Green Diesel Engineering does produce 545RFE custom TCM flashes and sells these in Australia through CRDSTU (who is their local agent). I should point out that this is only for the CRD. I know this because I have a GDE TCM which has significantly different shift charactertics to the stock TCM: for example, it will upshift at lower rpm to allow the engine to lug when under light load situations and it gets better fuel economy than the stock shift points. The shift points are altered to avoid that 'hunting' that happens around 80kmph (which is a fairly common speed in built up areas here). Towing is somewhat problematic with the GDE 'stock' TCM tune as the last thing you need is to fall into a torque hole with an early upshift, so GDE has also created a Towing tune which allows the holding of 4th gear to a much higher RPM than their 'stock' tune. I should add that GDE also uses torque converter lockup on 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, which reduces transmission temperature (your off the pump so to speak) and improves fuel economy. You can manually control gear selection through working the system to stay within it's rpm band better than the stock TCM and so effectively locking it in 3rd, or 4th can be done and the Overdrive button plays a role in controlling that. I admit I still have not mastered the art of manually controlling the gear used so I just mainly rely on the GDE programmed shift points. I believe GDE also offers TCM customisation, where they will set it up to suit your needs or special requirements. For full details talk to Stu, or read about it on the GDE website. I don't think there are many running in KJs in Australia, and again, GDE TCM tunes are really only for the CRD, which has the necessary torque curve to allow lugging and benefits from the lockup profile.

BTW the Dodge RAM TCM does get used by the US Liberty guys, but again its pretty much the CRD guys trying that out.

Finally, here are the gear ratios for the 545RFE and the 645RFE:

Look at these gear ratios, notice how they used the two 2nd gears to introduce a new 3rd, so that 6th is actually the same as 5th in the 545RFE - think of it as a closer ratio box):

545rfe
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
2nd Prime 1.50:1
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.75:1
5th 0.67:1
Reverse 3.00:1

65RFE
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
3rd 1.50:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.75:1
6th 0.67:1
Reverse 3.00:1

More info here: http://www.ramforum.com/f44/545rfe-29487/

Last edited by glend; 27-10-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply