How old are your tyres? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-09-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Exclamation How old are your tyres?

I was checking out some reviews on tyres when I came across this.

Since a lot of us buy/sell & swap tyres I thought it prudent that we be aware of the age of our tyres and the unseen dangers they may pose.
As the video explains the age is expressed in week's & year

example; mine are 4511 that's 45th week of 2011
My caravan which was built in 2010 has 44th week 2009 tyres(4409), the tyres were a year old when I got it, brand new, I had to wait for it to be built.
a 1990's tyre will have a date like this 256, that would be the 25th week 1996

So I wondered how many 20 year old tyres are floating around on box trailers these school holidays doing 110 up the hwy?
Old 29-09-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

interesting considering shops can sell used tyres in aust.

regards a
Old 29-09-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts

not sure if you have worked out hold old the clip is, but its 5 years old.
Old 29-09-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It is also a good knowledge to have when buying new tyres too, as it is not illegal to sell 5+ year old tyres as brand new. Immoral yes, illegal no.

New tyres I bought yesterday are 0513, so only made 4 months ago - I checked them as the guy was fitting them. He asked what I was doing and I told him I was just making sure I was not being sold old stock. He seemed both impressed and annoyed at the same time

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 29-09-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 30-09-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post

So I wondered how many 20 year old tyres are floating around on box trailers these school holidays doing 110 up the hwy?
probably heaps of them. a couple of years back I got rid of a trailer that my Dad bought back in 1964 and it still had the original Olympic tyres on them, admittedly they were pretty well stuffed

and my Heep has BF Goodrich A/T's with 120,000 Ks clocked up on them and 7 years old. amazingly they still have lots of tread left and still look good

finally, just fitted a new rear tyre to my motorbike that I bought earlier for less than half price from a well known moto dealer. being sold cheap as old stock with a manufacturing date of 2006. their tyre fitter checked it out and considered it good. have ridden over 2000 Ks on it since fitting it and seems ok in the twisties although it took longer to scrub in than usual

with tyre life a lot depends on sunlight and weather exposure
Old 01-10-2013
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

On my TJ the four on the ground (Kumho KL71) are from 09, the spare (Goodyear MTR) is from 01. It's had a few hundred miles use over the years and still looks almost brand new with no signs of decay visible.

How good it actually is I have no idea. I did read a few years ago about recommended replacement age for tyres, and checking up on GY tyres found they have no recommended maximum age. Maybe they age better than other brands, maybe not.
Old 03-10-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts

Guilty. Just replaced 1982 retreads on the trailer because the tread down the centre was literally falling off in chunks.