5speed Diesel vs 8speed Petrol - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Default 5speed Diesel vs 8speed Petrol

I was set in my mind to ditch the Patrol and get back behind the wheel of a Diesel JEEP, but the price is killing me. Looking around a 2012 (5 speed Diesel) is the same price as a 2013 (MY14 8 speed Petrol). Now the new 8 speed seems to be making the petrol drive better and increasing fuel economy. By my rough calculations the extra cost of the Diesel will be negated after 100,000klms if i was buy it brand new. But i wouldn't be getting the Diesel brand new, the Petrol model would be brand new. I'm yet to drive a petrol but I was more than impressed with the 5 speed Diesel. Has anyone else driven both the the new 8 speed Petrol and the 5 speed Diesel, and if so what were your thoughts?
Old 07-11-2013
Jeepin' is incurable....

Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

There is no comparison between the two in relation to low down and mid range torque, open road passing is a breeze in the diesel. Depends on where and how you drive but I have no regrets picking up a Trailhawk cheap instead of waiting for my ordered MY14 upspecced Laredo (which was going to be diesel anyway having driven the 6).
Old 07-11-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I drive the 8 speed diesel, but I had an 8 speed six as a loan car and I was suprised by how well it went, but I still prefer my diesel.
Old 07-11-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Not sure on the new diesels but the OM642 in my WH is a beauty its had some niggly bits but at the moment its running awesome

Just had a rental DID pajero brand new for a week it had some nice features but nothing compares to the om642 engine its a weapon admittedly its got green diesel tune KN filter panel and 3 inch cat-back but its just got balls when you plant it and its got 280,000 k,s on the clock its going to see a lot more that's for sure when I look at what I can replace it with for the money I'm keeping it unless it gets written of

After reading the issues with some of the new ones since Fiat bought them nah

Reason I bought it was the Mercedes engine front diff and gearbox the same ML with this engine was 20 grand more and is a soft roader unlike the Jeep which has real of road prowess not that I am ever going to take it of road
and at least in the Jeep I can stretch my legs in the front the pajero is made for midgets LOL
Old 07-11-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Default 5speed Diesel vs 8speed Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo4runner View Post
I was set in my mind to ditch the Patrol and get back behind the wheel of a Diesel JEEP, but the price is killing me. Looking around a 2012 (5 speed Diesel) is the same price as a 2013 (MY14 8 speed Petrol). Now the new 8 speed seems to be making the petrol drive better and increasing fuel economy. By my rough calculations the extra cost of the Diesel will be negated after 100,000klms if i was buy it brand new. But i wouldn't be getting the Diesel brand new, the Petrol model would be brand new. I'm yet to drive a petrol but I was more than impressed with the 5 speed Diesel. Has anyone else driven both the the new 8 speed Petrol and the 5 speed Diesel, and if so what were your thoughts?
Two questions.
1- when you say 8 speed petrol do you mean the v6 or v8.
2- what are you looking to do with the GC, just drive around the city low yearly km's, travel the country high yearly km's, tow, lots of off road.
These questions have a big impact on the value of the GC purchase price
Old 07-11-2013
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

The additional cost for the diesel can't just be offset against fuel over 100,000km's.

You also need to consider the resale value of the vehicle. I have a mate who has battled to get rid of a petrol cherokee KK while my diesel was older and traded in for more than he was asking by a fair margin.

My guess is when you take that into account, the offset becomes about 50,000km's or less. I novate my cars so the cost of fuel and the additional vehicle cost become negligible because you almost break even from day one.
Old 07-11-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: 5speed Diesel vs 8speed Petrol

I have the diesel in my 2012 wk2 and the petrol in my 2013 jku (remember that both the Wrangler and the GC both use the exact same petrol engine). Both 5 spd. There is no comparison, the diesel is much better in all driving conditions. I don't think that the new gearbox alone could make up such a difference, and the GC is a heavy car so again it's better suited to more torque. It's a joke the difference in price, but the diesel is better. If resale matters to you, then you will get a much better trade or private sale in on the diesel.
Post New Thread  Reply