Who uses HEMA maps? Or HEMA GPS ? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-04-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Who uses HEMA maps? Or HEMA GPS ?

Hi guys,

Just looking into this myself, but am not 100% tech savvy with all the gadgets these days...

My question is, I love the idea of running my iPad as my "map platform" as its a bigger screen than a HEMA unit. BUT I want to run the maps via GPS or Satellite.

Is there an option to buy like a sat nav jacket for the iPad, are they reasonably priced, and work well? And has anyone used one?

OR....

should I not waste my money and juts buy the HEMA for the 600 odd dollars they are and suck up the small screen issue?

I am doing vic high country mostly, and want a good reliable map feed, not dropping signal etc etc. just wanted to know is the iPad option out there? Is the price justifiable? And does it work or is it more a toy/apple gimmick.

Cheers.
Simon
Old 21-04-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts

Don't the iPads have GPS? I have used memory maps on my Android phone and tablet (7") and prefer my HN6, it just works as it is intended and places you where you actually are, memory maps showed I was in a totally different spot to a Garmin unit.
Old 22-04-2014
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC700 View Post
Hi guys,

Just looking into this myself, but am not 100% tech savvy with all the gadgets these days...

My question is, I love the idea of running my iPad as my "map platform" as its a bigger screen than a HEMA unit. BUT I want to run the maps via GPS or Satellite.

Is there an option to buy like a sat nav jacket for the iPad, are they reasonably priced, and work well? And has anyone used one?

OR....

should I not waste my money and juts buy the HEMA for the 600 odd dollars they are and suck up the small screen issue?

I am doing vic high country mostly, and want a good reliable map feed, not dropping signal etc etc. just wanted to know is the iPad option out there? Is the price justifiable? And does it work or is it more a toy/apple gimmick.

Cheers.
Simon
You could buy HEMA for the iPad. GPS on the iPad is great and if you'd like, you could plug in an external GPS called Bad Elf for it and plug in power to both. If you already have an iPad, I would go with this option.

I've been using my phone (Pocket PC, Windows, Android on Oziexplorer for years now for bush bashing, 4WD, Boating and in flight with external GPS no worries. Now using both the Android and iPad with various warez.
Old 22-04-2014
I just registered

Liked 53 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

you will need to get an iPad with 3G connection e.g. a SIM card for data to get the most out of it.
Old 22-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I've got a 3G model, but what's the point if the coverage will drop out just like a mobile phone, the bad elf sounds like a good idea
Old 22-04-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

The 3G models have built in GPS that works just like your iPhone does so the GPS will still work even when the 3G signal is lost. In their infinite wisdom Apple didn't bother fitting the none-3G iPads with GPS so in that case you need an external GPS.

I bought the Dual GPS receiver though I've yet to try it. I liked it as works off bluetooth and doesn't need to physically plug into the iPad port so you you could still charge your iPad and use the GPS. One of these days I'll get to do some trips again and test it out. New bub has had me confined to the city for the last few months but hoping to change that soon.

I've also tried memory maps which seems to work OK.
Old 22-04-2014
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC700 View Post
I've got a 3G model, but what's the point if the coverage will drop out just like a mobile phone, the bad elf sounds like a good idea
Hope you're not confusing 3G/4G Data with GPS. If you have onboard maps and GPS, you don't need 3G/4G data. You could turn WIFI Off, Bluetooth Off, Cellular Off and still have GPS, provided that you have GPS in the first place.
Post New Thread  Reply