Needing some advice re:job - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-05-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 38 Times in 17 Posts
Default Needing some advice re:job

Looking for some genuine advice as I'm stuck with a bit of a dilemma.

I have been working for a company as a mechanic/manager for a company for 5 years in that time I have had people work for me but for the last 10 weeks have been on my own.
The business is currently for sale and don't know whether I will have my job when the sale goes through, but have been told by the current owner that I have a job at his other business in the same role.

I haven't been looking for other work and am currently frustrated with the situation

Tonight I met up with a guy who I rang out of the paper and met up with him to discuss working for him.

The pros of where I am:
Good pay, company car and fuel, company phone, promises?

The cons:
Very long hours (11+ hour days), work every Saturday (original agreement was 2 a month), 2 hour round trip to work, no chance of annual leave being taken, being on my own

The pros of a potential new job:
Same pay, shorter hours (8-5 mon-fri only), 10 minutes from home

The cons:
No car or fuel, isn't a massive issue but means I need to buy another car
Pay my own phone bill (once again not a big issue)
The unknown?

In a similar situation what would you do? Sieze opportunity or ride the storm?
I enjoy my job but have a family to feed also.

I was going to at least help with a changeover period with the new owners at the minimum, but am unsure on which way to go. When do you stop being loyal to your employer and just look after yourself/family?

I'm not sure how my current boss will take the news of me resigning as it sort of leaves him without staff to run a business that he is trying to sell.
I do want to stay and finish up and leave things the right way, but when do I draw the line?

Just a bit confused
Old 22-05-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts

Sounds like you are the business.Why not buy it.
Or start down the road from you.I'm sure ,in the short term,you could get by,without another car,and see how things work out.
Old 22-05-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The unknown is probably the scariest thing we face when making decisions. It is very easy to accept a worse situation because of familiarity. I know I'm there at the moment myself.

Employee loyalty, in fact loyalty in both directions is a bit of a fallacy. In the end it's an economic decision. If the workplace was not doing well the owner may have to make cuts and they are based on numbers, not loyalty. Sure if you had two employees who had the same skill set, you keep the most loyal, but that's where it ends. And the same the other way, if better conditions are on offer why wouldn't you take them?

Quick question what value do you place on your personal time?
One of these options you're at work 66+ hours and commute for 12 more.
The other you're at work 45 hours, with less than 2 hours commuting.

Is the 33 hour difference really worth a car and a phone? Plus there's a heap more time spent on the road and the risks that this entails.

I think from the tone I get from the post, you already know which way you are thinking of going but the fear of the unknown has you seeking validation.

If it was me, I'd take the step (maybe I should listen to myself here.). There's a whole new adventure out there. At the end of the day only you can do what is right for you.

Cheers

Jas
Old 22-05-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Five/six years ago I was in the same boat, loved the job but the uncertainty about my future was to much.

I asked myself what was more important & to me the answer was a no brainer, Family comes first.

I gave up the car, fuel, phone & long hours & haven't looked back.

It was hard telling the boss I was leaving but the moment I did it I felt a weight lift off my shoulders.
Old 22-05-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 38 Times in 17 Posts

Nitrobrent, if I was in a financial position to buy it I would but am unable to raise the funds
Sucks because I am the business, just the timings a little off.

Jasper, the car and phone are not enough reasons to stay, I get that, the time I spend is a massive issue, miss out on aus kick, having dinner with my kids etc.
Old 22-05-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 186 Times in 124 Posts

End of the day, the only person looking out for you *is* you. You're your own personal business whether you like it or not, you need to make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time. Shorter hours will mean more family time (good and bad :P ) but it also means less perks to the job, then its reduced travel time, the list goes on - every decision is made with only limited information, after the information is assessed you make your choice, for good or bad, as hindsight is an amazing thing. Ultimately, this is something that you have to weigh up personally with your current financial situation (who is paying more??) and what you want to get out of life (pay off mortgage / get out of rental and into mortgage, etc) Fair call with reaching out, but its not a simple answer for you as there are many, many unknowns that only you can answer, and many more that wont be answered until you walk the path you choose. Sorry for the lack of direction, but it is really something that you need to weigh up with your own personal circumstances

Last edited by WhiteMeat; 22-05-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: dodgy speeling
Old 22-05-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I think the tipper here for you will be family and the time you will get to spend with them if you do take the step.

When someone retires I've never heard anyone say they wished they'd spent more time at work.