1996 XJ Issues - Trans + Stalling + Scared to turn left or right! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-05-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1996 XJ Issues - Trans + Stalling + Scared to turn left or right!

Hey guys!

I have recently bought my XJ and it has been awesome over the last 2000kms since i have had it.....HOWEVER..... just yesterday my car has started doing some random things. BOTH these issues have happened directly after i was coming down a sort of steep hill at about 70kms and had to put the brakes on fairly hard and come to a complete stop, the auto box made a bit of a noise and then the problems started. Firstly whenever I turn left OR right the car seems to want to stall and the revs drop riiiiggghhhhttt down then perks back up again about 2 seconds later, i have done some reading and the general consensus is that its most likely the fuel pump, so i have ordered a new one and will replace it this week. Other thing i have noticed as well is that when I am driving normally and if i put my foot down to pass someone or just speed up, the car shudders slightly, the revs go up(so its getting fuel) however this doesn't convert into acceleration, just revs and doesn't really go anywhere. Is this the transmission??

Any ideas/help would be awesome!

Cheers, Mike
Old 02-06-2014
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

You mean the revs go up, but the transmission is slipping?
Does it only happen when trying to overtake (so when in higher gears) or also when accelerating from stop?
ATF level and color good?

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Old 02-06-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,

Yea it only seems to do it when I'm in high gears, initial acceleration seems to be a bit sluggish but ok.

Taking it to an auto shop tomorrow and hopefully it's nothing major
Old 02-06-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

How is the tranny fluid level and when was it last changed? It also could be shift solenoids or valve body. As for engine dying when turning the steering, this sounds to me like low power steer fluid or dirty, but most likely cause would be a seizing power steering pump putting too much load on the engine causing it to shudder. Does the drive belt squeal when turning the wheel. That is a sure fire sign of a component seizing and loading up the engine. If Dextron Auto fluid is put into the steer fluid on the xj it causes seals to swell and restricts fluid flow. You must use genuine Mopar steer fluid.

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.
Old 02-06-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts

Get the transmission shop to check the torque converter.
The car wanting to stall when turning, is it when going fast or slow?
Old 02-06-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Slow generally Fruju
Old 02-06-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The fluid is nice and red/clean, not burnt at all No squealing at all coming form the belts or anything else. The car "apparently" had a reco gearbox about this time last year (according to the previous owner)
Post New Thread  Reply