Palm Vallet NT - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-06-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Palm Vallet NT

I'm staying in Alice Springs for a week, and was thinking of driving down to Palm Valley. The warning signs say "high clearance" 4wd only. Will my standard WH Grand Cherokee handle it ok? I am confident of its 4wd ability, but ground clearance ?
Anyone out there done this trip?
Old 15-06-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

I was there about a year ago. Very easy. Of course if it has flooded it may have changed. Seriously doubt it would ever get difficult.

Sent from my C5503 using Tapatalk
Old 15-06-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It hasn't rained out at Palm Valley for several weeks, so you should have little to no water crossing to do. WH should be fine.

Palm valley has two stages to it. the first is the entry from Hermannsburg to the campground, the second from the campground into the valley itself. the first stage is easy enough with tyres aired down a bit (more for comfort as it is rocky), the second stage can be slower going, but if you have more clearance than a Subaru Outback, you shouldn't get stuck at any obstacle.

The terrain changes constantly, and it's rained since I was last out there, and the track could have changed course a bit. the main parts stay the same though.

a tank of fuel should easily get you out and back from Alice to Palm Valley. there's a sharp dip in the road a few minutes out of Hermannsburg that is sure to excite at 110kph, might pay to wash some speed off, you'll know it when you see it.

Attached is the 4wd map and information from NT Parks and Wildlife. Best advice is if you don't think you can get past the camp ground in your Jeep, it's easy enough to walk in to the tourist walk section.
http://www.parksandwildlife.nt.gov.a...-4WD-Route.pdf

NOTE: there are two paths to walk at Palm Valley, a high track and a low track that follows the river. if you can cope with the step climb, the high road is worth it for the view at the end. The low road is great too, but scenery from an elevation is always more spectacular
Old 15-06-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

When we were there in 2010 I'm pretty sure i remember a Subaru Forester in the car park there so the Grand will have no probs. See I if you can time it for one of the ranger talks too, takes you along part of the high track. We then did the full loop walk down through the valley back to the car park with 4 adults & 5 kids aged 9 down to 4 so is relatively easy.
Old 16-06-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks guys, not sure if we have time for Palm Valley, but look forward to going down there. Today we went for a drive to N'Dhala gorge, which was fantastic. The only challenge was one of the water holes at the star of the track. An older couple in a Landcruiser were contemplating the waterhole when a guy in a Ford Ranger came through. I followed his path and got through ok (it was deeper than I thought, water above the door sills, but none got in) the couple in the Lancruiser turned around and drove back in the opposite direction!
We had a great day, the Aboriginal rock carvings were very interesting.
And I was happy with the Jeep too!
Old 17-06-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds like the place has gone the way of others, all touristorized? Isn't that a word?
It wasn't like that when I was there in 75 in my f35 Cruiser ute.
Carpark? Ranger?
Probably even signs now to show you how to get there.
Old 17-06-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza D View Post
Sounds like the place has gone the way of others, all touristorized? Isn't that a word?
It wasn't like that when I was there in 75 in my f35 Cruiser ute.
Carpark? Ranger?
Probably even signs now to show you how to get there.
Not really a car park as such & still a pretty rough trek in that changes every wet season.