Auto GearBox Mods- W5A580 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-06-2014
Mals-JK
Visitor

Default Auto GearBox Mods- W5A580

What Mods are available for the Merc W5A580 5Speed Box? Who's doing them, parts suppliers?
I have a 2014 JK but these boxes are obviously in the Gand Cherokees too (and many other makes) and been around a while so just wondering what are the best mods?
Shift Kits-
Torque Converters-
Manual LockUp Buttons for DownHill Engine Braking-
etc etc...
Old 23-06-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

x2

Sent via my bongo drums...
Old 23-06-2014
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

You obviously know this box is fully electrically controlled, not even a shift cable...... so EVERYTHING is controlled programmatically.

Its not like earlier auto's that were electromechanical... with the solenoids simply selecting the gear and the hydraulic system taking care of shift pressure, timing, overlap etc. The AW4DE is a classic example of a basically mechanical box with shift solenoids, the 42RLE of a hybrid mechanical box but with proportional solenoids that are used to modulate pressures.

These new boxes use proportional solenoids to control pressure, timing etc so the controlling software is VERY sophisticated including pressure feedback so the box actually can vary the shifts depending on conditions ( and also compensate for wear ). I've got hundreds of pages of documentation describing control strategies for auto operating modes... it HEAVY reading.

So the days of simply changing, valve bodies, restrictors, accumulator springs are over, its software all the way and its complex stuff that your local auto place is unlikely to have the knowledge or programming equipment to change beyond moving a shift points RPM.

And ... if you change things without understanding whats really happening then expect damaged gearboxes. IIRC MagnumPI suffered from someone "reprogramming" his 42RLE that caused him many months of major grief and at least one auto rebuild.

Also..... its not a commonly used racing box so the motivation for the aftermarket to develop mods won't be high....

That's one of the advantages of a Chev conversion.. the six speed auto ( which is a good box in the first place ) has lots of tuning options as its used in competition vehicles

So in summary ( finally )........ this will be a COMPLEX job for more than basic changes, perhaps in time some of the major auto players may do something but be VERY careful.
Old 23-06-2014
Mals-JK
Visitor

thanks MM i'l tread carefully and do a bit more homework.

some things id like to take more control of is manual shifting. 'D' is ok to leave for D/Driving but the Manual Tiptronic Is hardly Manual Shifting and very soft changes as ive tested and read so far. It will change up and down by itself in Man Mode, (obviously its protection feature) so its more changing the rev range of gear changes, its not a manual mode! In Lo Range you cant Lock in a Gear, i.e. if you want 2nd it will change between 1st n 2nd, if you select 3rd it changes between the 3, hardly what id call 'Manual Operation'.
And i really want engine braking, it's got that hill decent control that works off the abs, i Haven't tried that yet so don't know if its worth anything in the tracks i'll be doing? but id doubt that will work if ive got the esp mod button off anyhow.

I'll have a look and see what the GM 6Spd Auto Programming Mods can do.
Old 23-06-2014
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Look at Merc installed variants..... there apparently are different clutch materials etc used and solenoid bodies. What the outcome would be apart from a lighter pocket.....?

How this will all come together with the stock Chrysler ECU is unknown

Still apparently its a good box ( very sensitive to water ) so at least you not starting with rubbish. Big trans cooler will be a great start in keeping it going in the rough.
Old 23-06-2014
Mals-JK
Visitor

http://paramountperformanceproducts.com

there's also Charger and Challenger SRT using this Box, there appears to be a lot of things that can be done up to 2012, after that? (ive emailed Paramount)

the Controlling seems to be all in the TCM but obviously needs to talk to the Chrysler ECU.

Early days i'm just in the Info Gathering Stage.

So this G/Box is called W5A580, NAG1 or Merc 722.6

Last edited by Mals-JK; 23-06-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2014
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41MB-14JK View Post
thanks MM i'l tread carefully and do a bit more homework.

some things id like to take more control of is manual shifting. 'D' is ok to leave for D/Driving but the Manual Tiptronic Is hardly Manual Shifting and very soft changes as ive tested and read so far. It will change up and down by itself in Man Mode, (obviously its protection feature) so its more changing the rev range of gear changes, its not a manual mode! In Lo Range you cant Lock in a Gear, i.e. if you want 2nd it will change between 1st n 2nd, if you select 3rd it changes between the 3, hardly what id call 'Manual Operation'.
And i really want engine braking, it's got that hill decent control that works off the abs, i Haven't tried that yet so don't know if its worth anything in the tracks i'll be doing? but id doubt that will work if ive got the esp mod button off anyhow.

I'll have a look and see what the GM 6Spd Auto Programming Mods can do.

I too just want the damn auto to STAY in the gear I have selected... I lock it into second.. 1st.. whatever.. and it upshifts when it wants to... Yes I may have had a heavy right foot.. and it probably saved/protected something else... but sometimes.. I like having a little more control over what the wheels are doing... Be it right or wrong...

I think the ability to let it rev a bit and not upshift.. could be quite handy sometimes...
Is there a mod somewhere that can stop the 'inappropriate' upshiftingg??