RIPP Supercharger - who's running one? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-08-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default RIPP Supercharger - who's running one?

Ok, has anyone on here installed the RIPP-JKGEN2 Supercharger on their 3.8 JK?

I'm seriously considering it for my 2010 3.8 shorty auto. If anyone is running this supercharger can you post up your setup and your thoughts on it? Was the claimed power increase accurate? And I know it's a hugely subjective question but at around $7k, are you happy with the value/performance increases?

I have searched the site but most posts concern Sprintex and I'm more interested in the RIPP and opinions of THOSE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED IT.

Cheers
Old 29-08-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

I haven't fitted one, so I am not one of THOSE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED IT even tho' I like the idea, and the RIPP in particular, but I know that when I have read about supercharging/turbocharging the 3.8L, even when done under development by Chrysler, the stock motor could not take the extra power, with it blowing pretty readily. Sounded to me like the 3.8 would need some strengthening internal work done for it to cope, by which time u may as well put in a Hemi replacement. Up to you. No doubt s/charger etc will really improve power but possibly you will need to have a deeper wallet I think.There r youtube videos of before and after RIPP installs so have a look there.
Old 29-08-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 113 Times in 66 Posts

do a search on here.. a few days ago there was a pretty comprehensive discussion about this exact topic
Old 29-08-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Personal Opinion.... over rated, I don't own one but ive installed, driven and removed them.

And a centrifugal compressor doesn't really produce great low end boost so its IMO less useful off road.

Also the quality of the RIPP kit is poor...... if your mate fabricated it in his back yard, you'd probably go meh...... but at the cost being asked - hmmm.

With any of these VERY expensive purchases its difficult to get a negative opinion.... its hard to admit you blew 7K on something that's pretty average.

Still that's just my opinion - but i'd drive one BEFORE splashing the cash and keep an eye on the economy as well. The standard bad JK economy can become frightening with poor tuning.
Old 29-08-2014
Full Flexer

best thing you can do for the 3.8 is change your gearing.. IMO, the 3.8's and in particular the autos are quite badly under geared to make the fuel economy look "okish" to buyers..

a new set of deeper gears will liven the 3.8 up heaps.. and a hell of a lot cheaper too
Old 29-08-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts

What sort of costs would be involved doing that warna? This interests me.
Old 29-08-2014
Full Flexer

gears are around $500-$700 depending where you buy
fitting is around $1000 - $1500 depending on where you go..
Post New Thread  Reply