WK2 gearbox - kaput? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default WK2 gearbox - kaput?

I am so over this Jeep thing....

Towing the van this morning heading South from Broome. Nice cool morning and sitting on about 90. Suddenly it felt like I had hit an odd bump. The car gave a bit of a shudder, twice, then smoothed out. Then I notice that the RPM has gone way up from where it should be. Car lost power. No warning lights, no messages, no chimes of doom.

Long story short - I finally worked out that the torque converter was no longer locking in any gear. If I tried to keep moving in 4th, the car was revving at around 2700 just trying to maintain about 70 - 75 kph. Trans and engine temperatures went to 100 and 105 respectively. From memory I think the trans normally would be in the mid to high eighties on a warmish day when pulling the van. Engine temp a bit higher than that but Ive never seen it get close to 105 before.

I eventually worked out that if I left it in third and no faster than about 60 kph, I could keep the temperatures in the low to mid 90's. I pulled over about 4 times and sat for 20 minutes each time, temps came down to mid 80's but went straight back up when I started moving.

Finally limped into Sandfire Roadhouse and got on to Jeep Assist. They are sending a truck up tomorrow to take both the Jeep and the van to Pt Hedland, 290 kms away.

If you've seen my other posts about this car, you'll be rolling your eyes thinking "Here we go, he's off to the Toyota dealer again..." Yeah, well...I am.

Anyone care to hazard a guess about this? Could it possibly be just the CPU telling the gearbox stupid things? Or like me do you think this is likely to be mechanically catastrophic and it looks like Pt Hedland will be home for an extended period?
Old 06-10-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Can't blame you mate, you have been through too much with this car.
Old 07-10-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 48 Times in 33 Posts

Think it sounds terminal for the gearbox to me... keep us informed.
Old 07-10-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

is this the model with the VM engine & gearbox or the Benz engine & gearbox
Old 07-10-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

As everything in these grands is electronically controlled including when the toque converter locks up I'd go with "CPU telling the gearbox stupid things"

I was hoping that your drama's were over for you after the last issue with the DP chip but sadly not.

If you haven't done so already hit Jeep up on this guarantee they issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post

PS: Last word...For those N23 sufferers interested, this came with my new Jeep warranty as an addendum :

Important Consumer Information

Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the
Australian Consumer Law (ACL). You are entitled to a replacement
or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other
reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to
have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of
acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
This Warranty provides you with benefits that are in addition to your
rights and remedies under the ACL. In summary, these additional
benefits include:
- Ease of claims Iodgement - simply return the vehicle to our
workshop, provide us with your warranty details and the claim
Iodgement will be taken care of for you. No claim form is
required.
- Speed of claim approval - over 90% of reported claims are
assessed by our warranty administrator on the same day the
claim is reported, so we can get you back on the road as soon as
possible.
- Additional benefits - cover is provided for costs relating to towing,
car rental, and accommodation.
CWP_CJD _0913
4506-0913 PRN 16411
I had no sympathy for the bloke who destroyed his KK as a protest but I do think its about time Jeep took one (or two) on the chin to show they do value there reputation here in Oz. Your Grands repeated failures should surely put it in the "entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage" bracket?
Old 07-10-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
is this the model with the VM engine & gearbox or the Benz engine & gearbox
2013 VM & 8 speed....
Old 07-10-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
2013 VM & 8 speed....
Funny thing my Jeep guy said the other day he left the dealership because he expected lots of warranty claims on the VM stuff and didn't want to deal with them
Wondering if its coming true?
Either way to be so far from home in a new vehicle and problems already wouldn't be doing much for the owners trust
No wonder he is looking at yotas the WH models are the last and best Jeeps especially the CRD engines and these have their share of problems as well

Good luck hope it turns out well for you
Post New Thread  Reply