Just bought my wife a Jeep and 2nd gear syncros is worn - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-12-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default Just bought my wife a Jeep and 2nd gear syncros is worn

Hi everyone,

I have bought a 2003 Jeep wrangler for my wife (surprising her on Christmas with it) and I had a pre-sale purchase inspection done on it after I drove the vehicle quite extensively too.

Anyway, now that I have it, mainly when it's cold whilst down shifting to 2nd gear it grinds...I do it very slow and accurately to ensure It's not my poor knowledge of how to shift the gears in this vehicle...So I got my mechanic to drive it too and yes, he said it's not me...it's the car.

Unfortunatly when i test drove the car, the engine was hot...therefore this problem did not occur...the same thing when the mechanic did the pre-inspection.

So, My mech said that it's the 2nd gear syncros. He did change the gearbox oil first but the problem still occured.

I know nothing about these boxes, so should I replace all syncros (if all gears have them) or just the 2nd gear one?
It is worth fixing or should we buy a new box?
What advice do you have?

Thanks!
After christmas I will post photos of the car and my happy wifey!

Happy Wife, Happy Life!

...I'm learning!
Old 18-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

i can tell you that u can purchase a brand new box from the states for $1,000 and its about $500 postage.

if its only doing it while cold i'd nearly leave it for the time being
Old 18-12-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks mate,
It's just that my wife works 10min down the road and there's a lot of stop and starting so it will be cold every time she drives it and I don't want her to ruin the gears haha.

I'm getting a price today...also I see that Exedy clutch kits and $330 and if I am going to get them to take the gearbox out, they may as well replace the Clutch Kit too since it's the stock one and feels like it might be retired in another 20,000km.
Old 18-12-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

Before you get to drastic, make sure the oil type and grade is correct. Do some research / get a service manual / check the operators manual etc and just confirm the oil thats in the box is correct. Mechanics will but in whatever is on hand. Oil grade can make all the difference.
Old 18-12-2014
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

As above. Hope your mechanic put the correct oil in it.
The wrong oil in those boxes Fxxks the syncros.
Old 18-12-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

I have never looked at a manual gearbox in a 2003 , but in older cars I have , and in most cases the input shaft (where the first syncro sits ,) in most cases there is no point doing the syncro with out doing the input shaft, in those days a 80w 90 was used , back then in some countries if it was really cold weather they use to throw transmission fluid instead of manual trans oil , so I am unsure on what type of oil is in the box , but maybe just maybe if a LSD fluid was used say 75w , or something just a little thinner than the standard oil , NOW I am unsure on this as I do not know the specs of this type of box , but look at the manual , see what is recommended ,
and ask the mec what type of fluid did he replace in , as I do not know what jeep throw in at the start , could be a odd ball 70w 80 , or thinner or something totally different.
Old 18-12-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for all your advice, I will find out tomorrow and post back on here

Fingers crossed we can fix this spending minimal $$$
Post New Thread  Reply