TJ Bunny hopping advice! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-05-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default TJ Bunny hopping advice!

Hi guys,

I have a TJ that tends to want to bunny hop.

It's a little tricky to explain but I will do my best, simply put my car is a handful to drive smooth for anyone that doesn't know it well.

For instance, on a bit of a hill where you have to step off the brake and quickly apply throttle and clutch it will likely clunk and knock making the car feel as though it's bunny hopping. (No handbrake hill starts my handbrake hasn't worked in years).

Basically the only way to avoid this is rather than like a normal car where you can do this no worries with mine you have to catch it with the clutch to the point where the revs drop to idle or just below and time your throttle with a full engaged clutch. Then and only then can you take off normally without a clunk, clatter and hop.

In ways it's like this driving normally too but obviously far less severe, if you shift like you would in any other manual you can make it 'knock' it pretty much has to be clutch engaged first then throttle as opposed to a flowing motion synchronized between the two like normal.

I have a theory why this is and wanted peoples opinions.

To strike out some of the possible mechanical problems I'll give you some history.

1) I barely drive the car these days having bought a bike to save fuel.
2) Before retiring it to the garage more and more it received a lengthened front prop shaft to suit my lift as I was getting serious vibrations from the spline.
3) New unis all round.
4) New ball joints.
5) New wheel bearings.

Now, my 'theory' as to why this is happening is I have 3" coils with 1" spacers in the front to level her along with a 2" body lift combined with adjustable arms. I believe that because it's so tall my control arms (only being shorties) are so far from horizontal that it's making them jolt or jar when the suspension works. As the way the suspension wants to travel is closer to along their line then it is up and down these days if you can understand my poor explanation?

What does everyone think?

Anyone had similar issues?
Old 22-05-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletonbobo View Post
For instance, on a bit of a hill where you have to step off the brake and quickly apply throttle and clutch it will likely clunk and knock making the car feel as though it's bunny hopping. (No handbrake hill starts my handbrake hasn't worked in years).

What does everyone think?

Anyone had similar issues?
Engine or gearbox mounts?
Old 22-05-2015
I like stuff and things.

Liked 163 Times in 98 Posts

Read this thread:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=135680
Old 22-05-2015
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the link, however my accelerator pedal is fine and it's not a case of mis-acceleration. The car behaves fine more or less driving but I get this jumpy, bunny hopping mess when only having the clutch say half engaged with a bit of throttle on to take off.

This can only be rectified by basically engaging the clutch completely before accelerating. Whilst I've mastered the skill which is definitely required since I don't have a working hand brake for hill starts anyone else finds it very hard to drive my car smoothly.

Will have to check the mounts, could be on to something there.

However no other symptoms that are normally associated with worn engine mounts are present as I've done a couple in the past in other cars. Normally with north to south the engine mount that receives strain upwards from engaging the drive line with throttle on normally break and they can easily be diagnosed as the engine slaps around. Mine doesn't really do that, it's almost like it's in the clutch assembly although I doubt that.
Old 22-05-2015
I like stuff and things.

Liked 163 Times in 98 Posts

Sounds like the same issue to me.
Old 22-05-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts

I had the same thing with my tj. I had a 4" lift with brand new arms to suit. I don't have it now I've gone to a long arm kit and sye. My car used to bind up while changing gears and felt bad to drive, now with the long arm there's no dramas at all. I think its the fact of the arms are so short considering how much it has been lifted. Try taking out the 1" spacers and keep it at 3" and give a try.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y530-U051 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 23-05-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 82 Times in 69 Posts

it sounds more like a warped clutch assembly to me.
Post New Thread  Reply