HELP!! Swirl Motor Mod Not Working! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts
Unhappy HELP!! Swirl Motor Mod Not Working!

Hey all,

I was getting the lighting bolt symbol and limp mode yesterday again, and as I am driving 1,100kms to my new town tomorrow, I thought I would do the "simple" 4K7 Ohm resistor (1W) mod to delete the swirl motor.

Anyway, put it all back together and it won't start! It just gets the lightning bolt constantly flashing and associated error codes. After swapping over 3 resistors and clearing codes with the Torque App, it still won't start. I disconnected the battery for about 20min and tried that, no good. I also tried plugging the swirl motor back in and that doesn't work either....

Can anyone please give me an idea of what it might be before I lose the plot? At this rate I won't be going anywhere this weekend at all and God knows how I will get this thing going to even get to the Jeep dealership or a mechanic!!
Old 19-06-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

My swirl motor failed a couple days ago and the engine still started and ran in limp mode.
With the swirl motor in failed mode plugged in, unplugged and with resistor plugged into two centre pins.

The lightning bolt disappeared as soon as I plugged the resistor in.

From my experience above the non starting issue is not related to the swirl motor.

I did find the resistor lost contact pushed into the swirl motor socket so I soldered the resistor across the two centre wires leading into the socket....not much room but managed to get the socket under the turbine outlet pipe and up the other side to make it easier.

I have not been able to get mine out of limp mode but my jeep is having other issues.

These are the codes Autoenginuity enhanced Jeep picked up....Did your torque app pick these up? , I am wondering is torque reading all the codes from all modules.
Have you still any current codes?

Enhanced Powertrain

P065a Undocumented trouble code description

P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)....this one could be related to my other problems or could be the one that does the limp mode command?

P2010 Intake Manifold Runner (Swirl) Control Circuit High

P0048 Turbo / Super Charger Boost Control Solenoid Circuit High

P0246 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A High

Last edited by hotqld; 19-06-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 19-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

So I called the RAC out of desperation and he did a scan with his tool. Came up with a massive amount of codes, which he tried to clear without success. His main concern was that the fuel pump wasn't running. So he swapped relays without luck, then jumped the relay pins and got it running. At the moment I have to plug the jumper lead into the relay socket to run it and then unplug it after I switch it off to avoid draining the battery!

Lightning bolt is still flashing, CEL is on and it is in the same limp mode as before when the lightning bolt was flashing previously. He reckons the ECU may be fried or have a serious error, which would explain all the error codes.

After he left he rang and told me I should check the ECU and connections for acid damage and/or to make sure the plugs are in properly and not damaged. I have it out now and there doesn't appear to be any acid or other damage.

I tried ringing Jeep to see if they could do a quick scan, but they are useless and reckon they can't look at it until next week and the removalists are arriving with our household goods in Karratha on Monday morning, so I can't wait.....

What's the chances of a faulty/dead ECU without signs of damage?

Also, can I still drive it in limp mode, albeit slowly, considering I have a 1,100km trip ahead of me over the next 2 days? I can't stay here until it's looked at or fixed and I also have a trailer to tow.

Why does this shit always happen at the worst times?!!
Old 19-06-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

Limp mode will have you travelling at 60klm / hr. I thought I was pushing it 25klm to the Jeep people in 9 days time !
Think its the time of year...end of yr company upgrades??

1100klm open road in Limp mode that's pushing it to extreme.

I use to get advice from " Just Answers", who put me in touch with USA Jeep mechanics but now they put you in touch with Aussie car mechanics who tell you to go to a mechanic.
Maybe worth a try as they will refund your $50.00 no problems if you are not happy....but make sure your question / help is listed under USA Jeep experts....Its something you can try now.

Last edited by hotqld; 19-06-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 19-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

I took the ECU out and it looked fine with no evident acid damage or connection problems. I put it all back in and it is still the same. I added the resistor in the swirl motor plug again to be sure, but still the lightning bolt flashing and CEL on all the time.

I took it for a drive on the highway and I can get it up to about 115km/hr, maybe 120 on a long run. Basically, it just won't rev past about 2,700RPM. If you use the auto in tiptronic mode it is bearable, but no power under foot. I certainly won't be overtaking anyone.

I really have no option at this stage but to wing it on the trip and sort it out when I get to Karratha. I have RAC Ultimate plus cover now, so if it dies at least I will be able to get it towed somewhere. I really hope I can find someone in the North West who can diagnose the issue and get it sorted, because it is not sustainable like this.

I just need to know if it is the ECU that is stuffed and if so, who can fix it, or where can I get a second hand one and do I need to program it? Finally, what the hell is this going to cost me?

I can't believe I only got rid of my WJ 2 days ago! If I still had it, this could be so much simpler to deal with!!
Old 19-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Some sort of good news (I hope! ) is that the CEL has now cleared, but the lightning bolt is still flashing with limp (reduced power) mode and a heap of error codes still registering that can't be cleared. I've even noticed one for the A/C clutch and the A/C is no longer working.

I just had a thought (and it's a long shot) does anyone think it may be the battery that is the cause of all these fault codes? The battery seems to crank the engine fine, but it has had a workout over the past month or so with a dead glow plug module and then cranking it multiple times today until it was almost dead. The little indicator window doesn't appear to be glowing very green either.

I
Old 19-06-2015

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

The only way to really establish the battery's condition is to have it "load tested" by an auto electrician and/or good workshop. Anything under 70% load capacity (CCA rating of battery) is a replace.
A couple of years ago a friend who had just relocated to Karratha had the swirl motor go in his 2006 WH CRD Navigator - literally limped into town. Quite surprising, there are some excellent diesel repairers in the town. Admittedly his was the first swirl motor they had tackled and spent some time on the phone to JEEP. They went the long way - removing transfer case and auto to access all the mounts, connections, upgraded replacement Elephant tube and revised seal, sundrey parts etc.
Took about 3 days and with freighted parts and labour, code clearing etc. came in at just under $4,000.00. Whilst at it they replaced the battery with a "Power Crank" 1300 CCA (loca mob in Welshpool Perth WA. He's never looked back though he did rip the factory GPS out and went aftermarket due to no updated maps being available.
As a mining town Karratha is well set up with numerous repairers who have to know their stuff in a very competitive market.

All the best.
Cheers
Post New Thread  Reply