Increasing an existing suspension modification - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Increasing an existing suspension modification

After having read the stickies and searched threads, I have a question I haven't yet seen much info on.

If you have an current suspension lift ( e.g. for me a 2 inch OME lift on a 98 XJ Sport with standard 235/75/16 Maxxis tyres), and are looking to increase ride height an additional 1''-1.5'' are there options available that do not involve a complete suspension replacement such as a RE 3.5 kit etc etc

I suppose what I'm asking is can existing suspensions lifts be increased safely and properly without a complete overhaul?

I'm not exactly looking to budget lift or cut corners, just ready to move to 30s or 31s and will need the extra room (not willing to cut flares etc) but dont require the entire replacement of a perfectly good suspension setup, or justify the >$1000 just to get the bigger tyres.

Cheers
Old 09-07-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 75 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have the same setup and have 30's fitted no problem. So you should be able to without any issues.

The 2" ome lift is only an effective 1" lift for a sport as they came with the 'up country' suspension which is 1" lifted over classic I believe.

I am thinking of similar to yourself and lifting another inch or so. Not so much for bigger tyres but just a but better clearance and angles. Maybe fit boomerang shackles and a 25mm block to the front coils?!?

Sent from my D5833 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
9000lb Winch
Old 09-07-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

I'm not an XJ man by any stretch, but spring spacers might give you the result you want (XJ's are coil, right? If leaf springs, get extended shackls). I'm sure you could also find shock absorber extensions as well to get your travel back to the OEM 2'' spec. Then just get some bump-stop raisers.
Old 09-07-2015
EL CAPITANO DESTRUCTO

Liked 1,911 Times in 804 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

had 40mm lift and 31's till i went re3.5 for 33's (actually had 33's on 40mm lift too...)

why cant you fit 31's now?
Old 09-07-2015
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrax573 View Post
I have the same setup and have 30's fitted no problem. So you should be able to without any issues.

The 2" ome lift is only an effective 1" lift for a sport as they came with the 'up country' suspension which is 1" lifted over classic I believe.

I am thinking of similar to yourself and lifting another inch or so. Not so much for bigger tyres but just a but better clearance and angles. Maybe fit boomerang shackles and a 25mm block to the front coils?!?

Sent from my D5833 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Thanks for that info, I was wondering about that sport height difference and if that has an effect on things. I did some xtra searching and saw this on 4WDaction forum from a guy called optical-
"Not long after i had ordered an ironman 2" kit. That and 31's were the plan and that was it (uhuh...). After a bit ofd a chat with Marcus aka Gojeep on the ausjeep forums i decided to slip in another inch with coilspacers, lift blocks (shimmed) and transfercase dropblocks to reduce any vibes that jeeps are common for once lifting - this would also allow the 31's to sit nicer."
Old 09-07-2015
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesio View Post
I'm not an XJ man by any stretch, but spring spacers might give you the result you want (XJ's are coil, right? If leaf springs, get extended shackls). I'm sure you could also find shock absorber extensions as well to get your travel back to the OEM 2'' spec. Then just get some bump-stop raisers.
Cheers, still learning so I didn't know there was such things as shock extensions. I have seen some extended shackles/spacers in budget lift kits and generally they seem looked down on by guys who go for the real deal full suspension change. I'm not sure if this is because they are increasing height at the cost of ride and handling...anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard buttocks View Post
had 40mm lift and 31's till i went re3.5 for 33's (actually had 33's on 40mm lift too...)

why cant you fit 31's now?

Even with the current 235/75/16 i get a bit of rubbing on full lock.. nothing too bad I reckon 30s might be fine but 31s seem to be pushing it
Old 09-07-2015
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

You will get a little rubbing on the front lower control arms with a 10.5 inch wide tyre. no big deal. You can tale a little lock out with the steering stop bolts. I'm up about 1.5 inches over sport height with 31's. No worries. i would use a spring spacer shackle if you just want that little bit more.