Steering rack issues - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts
Default Steering rack issues

Hi everyone,

I've had my WH to the mechanic to diagnose a clunk and erratic driving over bumps, and it turns out it's in the rack. All my ball joints and rod ends are ok, and they say it's the rack gear that's worn.

So, how do I deal with this? If the gear is worn it's probably a waste of time rebuilding it, so I guess I'm up for replacement. If I buy another used one, do I end up with the same issue (I assume I do)? Did Jeep upgrade the rack along the line to improve it?

Has anyone else come across this before? What did you do?

Cheers,

Robert
Old 06-08-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hi Robert,

My rack was rebuilt by a local power steering shop a month ago due to a large 'bang' I was getting over bumps. The rebuild fixed the noise but the rack still has 'play' that I can feel through the car while driving. It feels similar to a worn out sway bar bush. You can feel the 'bump' through the pedals.

The shop doesn't know why the rack has play, or how to fix it. They want to pull it apart again to inspect.

Now I am in North Queensland where nobody knows Jeeps. If it doesn't have a toyota or nissan badge its considered rubbish. If you have somebody local who knows Jeeps thats half the battle I believe.

I am now looking for another rack to install myself as I dont want to spend anymore money on my rack which may be unrepairable .

Does anyone know where we can buy good second hand or rebuilt racks?

Cheers, Luke
Old 07-08-2015
Full Flexer

That's interesting Luke, the shop I took it to does rebuild racks, but I felt I'd be in the exact same situation as you, so I didn't go that way.

I understand you can buy new rack internals for lhd cars, so I assume you can get them for rhd cars too? I'm scared to call a dealer and get prices though.

Cheers,

Robert

Sent from my D6653 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 07-08-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

My 2010 WH with only 65000klms had a slight knock in it .Replaced all ball joints etc It got worse after 2 inch lift.There is a preload adjustment nut on the rack which if tightened may eliminate most of the knocking.Very hard to get at .There is info if you google WH .WK steering knock.I contacted two large rack rebuilders in Brisbane who stated they rebuild racks to as new specs including new hard chroming, bushes etc..Ring Hammonds Jeep 4x4 in Bris,I am pretty sure they will tell you who they use.These racks are used in a variety of other Chrysler cars.the US WK guys reckon the racks are too small for the vehicle.
Old 07-08-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertodonnell View Post
That's interesting Luke, the shop I took it to does rebuild racks, but I felt I'd be in the exact same situation as you, so I didn't go that way.

I understand you can buy new rack internals for lhd cars, so I assume you can get them for rhd cars too? I'm scared to call a dealer and get prices though.

Cheers,

Robert

Jeep wanted $346 for the rack ends alone. I can imagine what internal parts are worth!

As suggested, a lot of people have had success with adjusting the preload on the rack. Google it. Difficult to get to but certainly worth a shot before you go and buy another rack. Didnt work for me unfortunately.

Its interesting that these issues arise after a lift commonly. Mine was lifted 2 inches for about 6 months without an alignment and no problems. The weekend after the wheel alignment I started having issues.
Old 07-08-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

I'm another one who had success getting rid of that knock/play by tightening the preload of the rack. I found that there wasn't much margin for error between being too tight (loosing return to centre.) and having too much play, which I guess means something is worn.
~40kkm on and it's still ok.
Old 07-08-2015
Full Flexer

Well it looks like I'm under The Jeep tomorrow and searching for the elusive preload nut!

Failing that it seems I'm in search of a place to do a full reco. If anyone has advice on who to use for the reco, please let me know.

And I can see why the noise is more prominent after a suspension lift. The arms will have more of a downward angle on them after exiting the rack, causing extra load on the wear parts of the rack internals. My car is stock, and has only toddled around Manly for the last decade, so I shudder to think what some of you guys have experienced!

Cheers,

Robert

Post New Thread  Reply