Drivers Side Legroom Grand Cherokee / Commander - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Drivers Side Legroom Grand Cherokee / Commander

Hi There!

First post! Yay. Been thinking seriously about buying a Jeep for a long time and finally got a chance to take a 2006 Grand Cherokee for a drive the other day... It was wonderful. Loved everything about it. I would have taken it home if it wasn't for the indent on the left hand side of the drivers side.

I've got Degenerative Disk Disease in my spine and have pretty well permanent sciatica in my left leg. And dispite the seat being comfortable after about 15 Minutes of driving it I was sadly in agony. I spent ages fidling around with the seat trying to make it better to no avail, and I'm only 5'4" so putting the seat back didn't help

Do all the Grand Cherokee models or the Commander have this Blasted indent?! Cos it's the only thing standing between me getting out of my Jackaroo and into a Jeep!
Old 09-08-2015
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

If you are talking about the flat section on the left near the tunnel it's a footrest and as far as I know they all have it.
Old 09-08-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiewolf View Post
Hi There!

First post! Yay. Been thinking seriously about buying a Jeep for a long time and finally got a chance to take a 2006 Grand Cherokee for a drive the other day... It was wonderful. Loved everything about it. I would have taken it home if it wasn't for the indent on the left hand side of the drivers side.

I've got Degenerative Disk Disease in my spine and have pretty well permanent sciatica in my left leg. And dispite the seat being comfortable after about 15 Minutes of driving it I was sadly in agony. I spent ages fidling around with the seat trying to make it better to no avail, and I'm only 5'4" so putting the seat back didn't help

Do all the Grand Cherokee models or the Commander have this Blasted indent?! Cos it's the only thing standing between me getting out of my Jackaroo and into a Jeep!
Yep unfortunately they all have the awkward drivers footwell (I guess more effort went into engineering it as a LHD vehicle.)..
I also came from a Jackaroo, and the footwell is just something I've learnt to put up with.
One of my legs gets uncomfortable on long trips (due to a bad break a while ago.), so I can sympathise. I've found a few funny ways to reposition myself occasionally and find that driving without shoes helps (kinda gives an extra 10-20mm of valuable space.) although I believe that's not strictly allowed(?)...
Putting the seat as high as possible helped a tiny bit too in my case, but the low roof limits that... if you think a significantly higher seat might help, a Commander with the seat lifted might be an option?

By the sounds of it a WH or XH probably isn't the car for you.
Old 09-08-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Definitely not the footrest just the cut in part to the left. Cos I'm short I didn't really notice the lack of room by putting the seat up.

But yeah, if I can't stand it after 15 Minutes and I like to go on 10-15 Hour Drives at a time... I'll see if I can get my paws on a Commander to fiddle with (I actually prefer the boxy concept of the Commander anyways)

James - did you go from a Petrol or diesel
Jackaroo? How's it been since having a Jeep?
Old 09-08-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiewolf View Post
Definitely not the footrest just the cut in part to the left. Cos I'm short I didn't really notice the lack of room by putting the seat up.

But yeah, if I can't stand it after 15 Minutes and I like to go on 10-15 Hour Drives at a time... I'll see if I can get my paws on a Commander to fiddle with (I actually prefer the boxy concept of the Commander anyways)

James - did you go from a Petrol or diesel
Jackaroo? How's it been since having a Jeep?
Sounds like a good plan.

I came from a petrol Jackaroo (to the 5.7 WH.).
The only "downsides" for me are the leg/foot-room and the shape of the boot space being harder to outfit (a Commander would be easier in that respect.).
Otherwise it's much nicer to drive in every way, and much more capable off-road.

In my opinion if you do any off-road/dirt-road (even rarely.), it's worth the extra time/effort to find one with Quadra-Drive 2. Hands-down the best stock 4wd system ever made, lets you cross difficult things which much less wear-and-tear, which I recon is invaluable even if you're only touring.
Old 10-08-2015
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The footrest lifts out if that is any help

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439180581720.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	72163  
Old 11-08-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts

Hi guys, just jumping on this bandwagon.

I'm 6'2", size 10 shoe, and I'm close to moving on my WH if I can't get comfy in the cabin. That damned "footrest" protrusion is making more than a 45 minute trip near agony for me.

Who has done what to deal with it? Lionel referred to the footrest being removable? Mines seemingly moulded into the carpet and would require me to take to the car with a Stanley knife should I with it gone!

Would love to hear some feedback from guys who have successfully performed tunnel surgery, as it's all that I don't like about the WH.

Cheers,

Robert
Post New Thread  Reply