Spring time - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-09-2015
Jingle ALL the way...

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts
Default Spring time

Need some advice on the following.
It has come to that point that I will need to replace springs. Initially I thought just fronts, but the other day I noticed my leafs were pretty much flattened, without any load in the back. So, all will need to be done.
Post-update 1997 Sport 4.0, so has the 1" lift from factory.

Contacted local-ish Jeep shop, who quoted me just under $400 for R nR of the front coils. When I stated I wanted the rears done and looking for a similar lift I had now (I don't need more lift, not planning on running larger tyres etc), I got quoted $1950 for a complete 40 mm lift kit with EFS leafs, coils, longer U bolts, TC drop kit and shocks all around. That's a lot of $$. I've seen the rear leaves with bolts for $700 with a quick search. Coils could be around $200. Apparently all after market springs are lifted? And this is what would come closest to 25-40 mm lift, matching my 1" somewhat.

Problem for my DIY atm is : my current rental place does not allow to work on the Jeep as in: everything is fkn sloaping down. Nearest place would be on the street, 100 meters down hill.

So, few questions:

Do I need a TC drop kit for only a 40 mm lift?
How much lift is possible to keep everything else stock?
How easy can this be done DIY?
I know shop needs to make money, but is 2 grand a bit much?
(I have no idea how long this would take to be done tbh)

Keen for some input, since suspension work is new for me.
Thanks in advance.

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Old 15-09-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

I have some standard 1999 Update sport front springs, happy to help you fit them at my place if you can't work on it at yours. Can't help with the leaf springs, however if you can buy some can help fit them.

If you want my springs they had done about 86,000 before being replaced with lifted springs, a couple of cartons of Tooheys extra dry and i will be happy.
Old 16-09-2015

Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default springs

4x4 point in Hervey Bay do rear springs for $300 plus shipping.

You shouldn't need a tranfer case drop for a 40 mm lift.

http://4x4point.com.au/cart/index.ph...roducts_id=235

Their other items like bushes and small parts are a good price too.

Shane
Old 16-09-2015
Jingle ALL the way...

I was looking at those last night actually. Would come to $370 shipped, plus $100 for the bushes. The lift of 1.5 - 2" would be in the right ballpark I'd reckon.

Old 16-09-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler View Post
I was looking at those last night actually. Would come to $370 shipped, plus $100 for the bushes. The lift of 1.5 - 2" would be in the right ballpark I'd reckon.
Hey Roler, see if you can find a 7 leaf pack with thinner leaves, you'll appreciate the better ride. You may have a 7 leaf pack in yours now, what about getting them rebuilt? The 7 pack may be slightly thicker overall, but will need less arch for the height you want, & offer a more progressive action. Regards oldon.
Old 16-09-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Have you priced OME springs? I personally skip their shocks though...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 16-09-2015
Jingle ALL the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Have you priced OME springs? I personally skip their shocks though...
Found them on Rocky-Road for $99 each....but $1089 dollar for shipping to add to that haha. Not sure if that would be the best place to find them...

Post New Thread  Reply