Finally Time for my Commander to Grow Up!! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts
Talking Finally Time for my Commander to Grow Up!!

What a nice surprise it is when the Minister for War & Finance reminds you of the "extra" $2K you have reserved in the bank account to lift your Jeep!! (I wasn't even aware we had reserved anything.... what a great wife she is )

So anyway, after 9 months of ownership it's time for my Commander to grow some legs and start looking more lift the capable beast that it is. I did all the research some time ago and I have decided to go with the 2" OME/ARB HD lift. As much as I would love to just go mental and head straight to a 4" Superlift, the reality is I thought it's probably best that I don't push my luck and ruin the goodwill by doubling the budget.

And as much as it pains me to say it, I am going to do something completely different this time and pay ARB to install it for me Whilst I am totally capable of doing it myself (along with all my other mechanical work), one of the main reasons I have decided to go with the OME lift is that I want the warranty and local support as I now live in The Pilbara. The thought of forking out a large sum of cash for a lift that either suffers from major spring sag or a blown shock in a remote location doesn't really appeal to me much. At least ARB has a store in pretty much every town in the North West of WA.

And given that I am already very time poor with full time work managing an office and part-time study, forking out the extra $600 is cheap in the grand scheme of things really. Add that to the fact that it has been 37-43C here for the past 2 weeks, there is no way I can be arsed swings spanners and sweating like a pig whilst rolling around on the garage floor covered in grease. I would much rather spend my spare time in the pool or out at the islands with a beer in hand relaxing!

I can't wait to get this lift installed. The only bummer is the 5-6 week lead time on delivery of the parts. Oh well, at least it will be here in time for the Christmas break. In the meantime I've got my seatbelt warning light/chime issue to try to solve. A Hypertech speedo recalibration programmer/DTC reader is on it's way from the States, so hopefully this will help with some of the boredom.

Once it's lifted I might finally start to put some photos up here to share......
Old 09-10-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default CB-Engineering

I understand the local support thing, I had one of my OME struts replaced under warranty. I had my suspicions it was dodgy from day 1 but as I did my own install I lacked the experience to know for sure.

I came across this guy a while back & am seriously considering CB-Engineering
http://cb-engineer.com/t/categories/suspension

Another thing he makes is tie rod ends for WH/XH
Old 09-10-2015
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

I've been looking into lifts myself and have narrowed it down to OME , Murchison , or second hand if something comes up, I'll be keen to see your impressions of ride improvement.
Old 09-10-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
I understand the local support thing, I had one of my OME struts replaced under warranty. I had my suspicions it was dodgy from day 1 but as I did my own install I lacked the experience to know for sure.

I came across this guy a while back & am seriously considering CB-Engineering
http://cb-engineer.com/t/categories/suspension

Another thing he makes is tie rod ends for WH/XH
Why did you have to post this Clarky!! Now I've got something else to potentially change my mind..... Looks like a great kit - have you read any reviews on it? Never seen it before.

Did you manage to get your strut replaced even though you fitted it yourself? ARB told me that the warranty only applies if they fit the kit (which makes some sense).
Old 09-10-2015
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

The guy is on http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/jeep-o...ods-47389.html & http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/j...-mods-1411857/ his online name is tnadanzig.
Old 09-10-2015
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

Strut replaced under warranty (labour my cost). Paid for the other front strut as I wanted them to be the same age/wear .
Old 10-10-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
I've been looking into lifts myself and have narrowed it down to OME , Murchison , or second hand if something comes up, I'll be keen to see your impressions of ride improvement.
Yep, that's exactly where I was at too. Was keen on the Murchison's kit until they stopped the free shipping to Regional WA. Would've cost too much and I would have had to fit myself with no local support for warranty issues. Thought about second hand too, but nothing decent has come up.

I'll definitely share my impressions of the ride quality compared to standard once it's in. Can't wait to get rid of the floaty boat-like bounce over speed humps and some of the body roll!