2011 JK Wrangler - Big end gone. Now what? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-11-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Default 2011 JK Wrangler - Big end gone. Now what?

So, my beloved 2011 JKU developed a knocking noise at the weekend. Took it in for its 75k service (it's at 73k) and just received the good news - big end is gone.

Because it wasn't caused by an accident insurance is useless, and Leo Muller, where I bought it from, new, are not making encouraging noises. Jeep themselves told me it's out of warranty, which it is, and therefore it is entirely my problem.

So, I'm guessing a new engine is my only option. I'm very low on funds so this is deeply worrying. How much does one of those cost to buy and have installed, or have I any other options?

Thanks
Old 17-11-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Properly maintained, an engine should be expected to last more than 75,000kms without catastrophic failure.
If you've got clear evidence of proper servicing (particularly dealer servicing) id be having a word to the dealer and/or jeep again. It wont be fully covered but you should at least get some assistance- try whispering 'ACCC' and 'acceptable quality' if they need encouragement.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...mer-guarantees
From accc site
Since 1 January 2011, the following consumer guarantees on products and services apply.

Products must be of acceptable quality, that is:
safe, lasting, with no faults
look acceptable
do all the things someone would normally expect them to do.
Acceptable quality takes into account what would normally be expected for the type of product and cost.
Old 17-11-2015
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvines View Post
Properly maintained, an engine should be expected to last more than 75,000kms without catastrophic failure.
If you've got clear evidence of proper servicing (particularly dealer servicing) id be having a word to the dealer and/or jeep again. It wont be fully covered but you should at least get some assistance- try whispering 'ACCC' and 'acceptable quality' if they need encouragement.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...mer-guarantees
From accc site
Since 1 January 2011, the following consumer guarantees on products and services apply.

Products must be of acceptable quality, that is:
safe, lasting, with no faults
look acceptable
do all the things someone would normally expect them to do.
Acceptable quality takes into account what would normally be expected for the type of product and cost.
Thanks mate. That's cheered me up.

It's been serviced on schedule etc, but at Ultratune over the last few years rather than at the dealership. Still, they're legit servicing bunnies, so that shouldn't make much of a difference.

Just called Jeep again and got them to lodge a request. Bit of a backlog, so should hear back in three to five days.

Acceptable quality, eh? I wonder if I can get them to sort out the leaking roof. I know, dream on, right?
Old 17-11-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yes good luck with your challenge! Given the ACCC current feelings toward FCA I think you will het a sympathetic ear from them if it comes to that. A big end failure on a properly serviced vehicle at 75000 and only 4 years old is not considered fit for the intended life span or whatever they call it.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 17-11-2015
CrawlerStar

Reading the ACCC site right now. Lots of food for thought there. Thanks guys.

I won't be turning into that 'destroy my jeep' guy, but I won't be thrilled if Jeep don't help out.
Old 17-11-2015
CrawlerStar

Update - Jeep called back for a bit more information and are now looking into it properly. Amazing what a few quiet words and acronyms whispered into their shell-likes will do
Old 17-11-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

I would immediately take an engine oil sample before any work is done on it by the dealer. Can not remember quantity needed for analysis .Also what oil was put in at Ultratune. Best also to contact your state consumer affairs and ask them for any advice. Any buckpassing go straight to ACCC. Keep records date and times of All conversations etc.with FCA and dealer.
Post New Thread  Reply