Coolant System Defect on Wrangler TJ 01 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Coolant System Defect on Wrangler TJ 01

I have had an issue with my TJ 01 model for some time now. Firstly It will need coolant to be refilled after every 50km, and will usually put in 100-150ml back into the radiator.
I have had to empty the coolant overflow tank a few times. And would seem that most off the coolant would go into there.
Sometimes it will also leak coolant onto the ground when parked.

I did get a new complete radiator assembly in 2007.

Temperature reading in the car will only show normal working temp, and has never overheated.

Now I did take the car in to the mechanics and was told I needed to replace:

* Radiator
* Top hose, lower hose and heater hose
* Thermostat
* Water pump

I was told the radiator was blocked up, hoses to the radiator were crystalized.
And was quoted $1200 to get the job done.

After hearing some of the symptoms do you think that I need to replace all these parts?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Last edited by Jahn; 03-02-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2016
Trail Twister

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Try a new radiator cap first. When they don't hold pressure they puke into the overflow bottle.
Old 03-02-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts

Have you got the old radiator with the plastic tank top and bottom, if so you are probably losing steam slowly over time as it is normal for the plastic tanks to leak where it joins the metal core, same thing can cause a leak while parked that can come and go.

You can get a new decent upgraded 3 row high flow all aluminium radiator for $190 delivered (make sure you get RHD) and it is worth spending the extra $165 for a decent electrical fan and aluminium shroud while you are there, the hoses you can get from Mackay radiator hoses for $95 delivered, a low temp thermostat and gasket should be under $30, if you decide to go the electric fan rout then you will be up for another possible $50 in parts for the electrics and second temp probe setup, total price $530 ($315 without electric fan) plus about 1-2 hours of dead easy and simple work and you gain a significant upgrade in cooling capacity and get rid of the god awful viscous fan.

If the mechanic did not pull anything apart then they are just guessing and looking to make a a nice little profit out of you, it certainly won't hurt to be done but the mechanic is seriously taking the mickey out of you by all accounts. If there has been no temp issues then clearly the water pump is working fine, seems like your only issue is the slow leak which will be from the radiator and you might as well change the main radiator hoses while you are there pulling things apart (do your hose clamps as well).
Old 03-02-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
Try a new radiator cap first. When they don't hold pressure they puke into the overflow bottle.
Thank you, I will replace the old radiator cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
Have you got the old radiator with the plastic tank top and bottom, if so you are probably losing steam slowly over time as it is normal for the plastic tanks to leak where it joins the metal core, same thing can cause a leak while parked that can come and go.
I failed to mention that I got a new radiator fitted in 2007 so about 9 years ago.

I do believe that the mechanic only had a visual inspection. And It all seemed abit sussed. I will defiantly take it in for a second opinion. And I will let you know how I go.

Thank you for you help so far, it's been very helpful.
Old 03-02-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
I failed to mention that I got a new radiator fitted in 2007 so about 9 years ago.

I do believe that the mechanic only had a visual inspection. And It all seemed abit sussed. I will defiantly take it in for a second opinion. And I will let you know how I go.
Did you replace with OEM radiator (plastic one)? 7 years is not too bad for a plastic one, especially if you take your jeep off-road and "flex".

"a bit suss" is mechanics terminology for "I have no idea so I will just replace everything and see what happens"

As long as you keep it topped up you will be fine in the meantime.
Old 15-02-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner View Post
Did you replace with OEM radiator (plastic one)? 7 years is not too bad for a plastic one, especially if you take your jeep off-road and "flex"

The current radiator that is not is not plastic, and the second mechanic I took it in to told me that the radiator was heavy duty.

With my second oppinon I was told I needed to replace the water pump and radiator cap. The repairs ended up costing $425

However when I picked the car up, I was told that I might need a new radiator since it has 2 medium size holes in it. Did i was aware of but failed to mention to the mechanic.

Do you know where I can get a affordable radiator from?
Was originally quoted around $380.

Thanks for the help so far guys, much appreciated.
Old 15-02-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
The current radiator that is not is not plastic, and the second mechanic I took it in to told me that the radiator was heavy duty.

With my second oppinon I was told I needed to replace the water pump and radiator cap. The repairs ended up costing $425

However when I picked the car up, I was told that I might need a new radiator since it has 2 medium size holes in it. Did i was aware of but failed to mention to the mechanic.

Do you know where I can get a affordable radiator from?
Was originally quoted around $380.

Thanks for the help so far guys, much appreciated.
Yeah holes are bad mate, but I guess you already knew that, whatever you do don't add any "stop leak" to the system

These guys are selling the good RHD ones in Australia, just make sure you get the RHD one (looks like this), they also do a decent matching fan shroud, last time I got one they did not have any RHD fan shrouds but fortunately you can easily convince the LHD shrouds aluminium brackets to fit the RHD radiator. Main thing is to change the electric fan out that comes with them as they are complete rubbish, they push enough air but won't last long, for another $60 you can get a upgraded decent fan which also comes with a proper plug as well as the parts to make up the plug for the vehicle side (note you will have to replace the bolts in the water pump for low profile ones so they won't hit the fan) .

Last edited by Redemptioner; 15-02-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply