Dual purpose trailer. Camping hack/tradie. Waterproofing? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Camper Trailers and Caravans
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-05-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Question Dual purpose trailer. Camping hack/tradie. Waterproofing?

I'm starting to do some basic mods to my unused tradie trailer. 6x4 box. With one of those basic trade tops on it.

I might need to use it for work here and there, so can't commit to full time conversion.

I'm going to SOA it, and basic stuff like that.

It's just to carry bits of gear, spares, tools. No tent on it at all.

My question is, we can't work out something basic. When doing watercrossings deeper than the floor of trailer...how keep it watertight?

What do people do?

Any basic comments and suggestions welcome, because I'm at the very start of project.
Old 20-05-2016
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

I've quickly concluded that if you want a watercrossing trailer you need to start from scratch with that in mind.

This trailer has far too many compartments and leak points to make it watertight now.

Some stuff's just going to get wet
Old 20-05-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I've lined trailers with leftover plastic weed matting to prevent water getting to dry stuff before. It's a cheap short term solution, but worth replacing each trip you take as a trailer with items bouncing would likely run straight through it
Old 20-05-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

I know , buy a 14 foot cabined boat , if you try to cross too deep a water at least you can float! LOL .
plastic line it, and duct tape and silly cone.
and just like a boat don't forget a drain plug.

Last edited by bleetnblurt; 20-05-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 20-05-2016
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRubicon View Post
I've lined trailers with leftover plastic weed matting to prevent water getting to dry stuff before. It's a cheap short term solution, but worth replacing each trip you take as a trailer with items bouncing would likely run straight through it
That's an idea I hadn't thought about. Simple, but went over my head

You'll see in the pics it's not really going to work with this trailer.

I'm thinking about building a camp hack from scratch, might use that method then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetnblurt View Post
I know , buy a 14 foot cabined boat , if you try to cross too deep a water at least you can float! LOL .
plastic line it, and duct tape and silly cone.
and just like a boat don't forget a drain plug.
Haha. I actually thought you'd build a trailer like a boat, all sealed up. Then it'll float behind. Cross current catch it, swing it around, jack knife. Haha. So what? Seen my WG It's already rough.

We also said just make sure it's got massive drain holes too
Old 20-05-2016
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)
Wink

I forgot to say I'll put some pics up as I go.

Get ready though. It's a very underwhelming trailer Just a hack to bash on tracks and carry shit that don't fit in the GC.

It's a mega tight wad modify session.

$100 maximum special.

1 week deadline, ready for next weekend.

Did anyone guess I'm never out to impress anyone with what I wheel or look like yet

Stay tuned. Haha
Old 20-05-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobz View Post
I forgot to say I'll put some pics up as I go.

Get ready though. It's a very underwhelming trailer Just a hack to bash on tracks and carry shit that don't fit in the GC.

It's a mega tight wad modify session.

$100 maximum special.

1 week deadline, ready for next weekend.

Did anyone guess I'm never out to impress anyone with what I wheel or look like yet

Stay tuned. Haha
well, if you change your mind I got a trailer that will fit the 15" jeep wheel and has a frame (looks like the old army trailer type )
it is registered and sits in my back yard like a LUMP! and the bastard is heavy as. do you have any other trailers ? ILL SWAP
Post New Thread  Reply