mercedes g class ute - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2016
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts
Default mercedes g class ute

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/m...01-gt1k05.html

$119,000 before on roads
135kW and 400Nm
2.1 ton payload (obviously without tray so in practice will be less)
only 2.2 ton towing (pretty pathetic, especially with such a long wheelbase)

Is it overpriced?
will it last like older landrcruisers used to?
Is the engine similar to a OM642?

I can't see many people buying it. Well off landowners will continue to buy 200 series and 70 series. Hard for a business to justify when its so much more expensive than a 70 series. Its certainly not a luxury vehicle.

Would be a perfect vehicle for long range remote travel. CSR and the like.

I guess the payload will be great for people like DSE, power companies, remote drilling contractors etc. I struggle to see mining companies buying it. maybe fleet buyers would get a substantial discount?
Old 02-12-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts

Overpriced is an understatement!
Old 02-12-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

I'm certainly no fan of the 70 series which is itself already a seriously overpriced and under spec'd offering but the 70 series should put that to shame in pretty much every respect. If you're willing to spend the $120k plus on a single cab heavy duty work ute then my money would go on a 70 series with GVM upgrades etc. That would get you much closer to the Merc's payload but still keep a far better towing capacity and probably cost you less. You could do the rear end coil conversion and an auto conversion and still spend less than Mercedes are asking, and you then get an engine that with a little fettling can easily output twice the power and torque figures of the Merc (though to be fair I expect the Merc engine could likely be tuned as well to produce a lot more than they are quoting). Spend the equivalent money on after market mods for a 70 series and you'll end up with a far better vehicle IMO.

What will be interesting is to see how many they do sell and how many Mercedes need to sell to make it viable to keep it here. At the very least it might make Toyota fight a bit harder to keep the business they currently have and might encourage them to update the 70 series to a spec that is fitting of an $70k+ vehicle in the 21st century, or at least one from the late 20th century rather than something from the dark ages as it is now.
Old 02-12-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You could have a 70 series with a 6l90e auto and portal axles( legal ) for about that much money. Good luck Mercedes.
Old 02-12-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

Cruiser gxl is $66,000 or $74,000 drive away.
Old 02-12-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

With $20-25k (?) for a rear end coil conversion with wider & stronger rear diff and GVM upgrade you're still streets ahead with 70 series and have a better engine & tow capacity. Add another $15k for an auto conversion and you've got a better driving vehicle again and still have change against the Merc. Given that the 70 series is already ridiculously expensive for what it is, you've got to really really want a G class to convince yourself that it's worth it for that money.
Old 02-12-2016
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Unless you have owned & driven Mercedes over many years (I have had 3) you may just not understand. If it is a good German Mercedes, it will do well, if its a budget Benz like the A series, best stay away. Mercedes wont be interested in taking on other brands, so you can forget the comparisons. There will only be a small number sold in Australia & there will be a waiting list.