Stuck Injector / Cracked Rocker Cover - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Stuck Injector / Cracked Rocker Cover

Hey Guys.. I am close to goddamn tears with this thing. I have replaced all 5 injector seals last year with no issues. Some injectors were a bit hard to get out but just warmed the engine right up and twisted etc and they came out. My number 1 injector is now leaking again very badly (I didn’t use a seat
Cutter tool and instead used sandpaper to clean the injector seat.. idiot!!)

So long story short I’ve spent 8 plus hours trying all sorts of oven cleaners and what not trying to loosen the injector, even driving it around with no clamp on it to try and get it loose. I now have a small crack in my rocker cover that leaks very minute bits of oil out when it runs. We are talking a ml or two a minute. Worried about driving as I’m sure revving will increase pressure and make this worse.

So two questions that I would love to have help or advice with:

**Can I fix this small crack with sealant or an aluminium welder (take it to a professional)

**How do I pop the damn green top off the injector to get my slide hammer thread attached? I have tried using an adjustable spanner to unscrew the ring just below the green plastic but no luck.

I tried to jam the claw under the injector body and that is what cracked the rocker cover.. at my bloody wits end with this crap. I have Honda seals, new bolts and a proper injector seat cutter waiting to do these injectors but I just don’t know anymore...

Last edited by BlackHearts506; 03-11-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2018
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Seems I should have just bought this tool.

And I will try JB Weld to fix the hairline crack.

FML!!! Anyone feel free to add their two cents you are more than welcome..
Old 03-11-2018
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Even if you use a puller with a stick injector, you're just as likely to crack the cover in my experience.

If the injector is good, IMHO you don't want to remove the top of the injector as a lot of crap is likely to enter the injector. If you do want to remove this, the hex head is the nut you need to undo to remove this component.

I made a forked tool that I attached to a slide hammer to pull this out injectors, and for the most part it worked very well. However stuck injectors can be a problem.

You can buy them, here is one that is similar to what I've done:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9PCE-Com...AAAOxyBLxRHrEY

I'd be inclined to pull the cover off and get it welded. It is aluminium to once it's clean, anyone with an AC TIG should be able to help.

Jason

Last edited by bodgie; 03-11-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2018
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the reply Bodgie.

So I did use something similar to what you posted and the claw itself would not fit under the injector so I grinded the shit out of it to try and narrow the ‘claw’ down but after spending all day on it I didn’t do enough and got impatient and when trying to push it under the injector that’s when I cracked the valve cover. I guess I need to make it more narrow to access the body of the injector as the sides of the rocker cover were impeding it.

It is a hairline crack and leaks a very small amount of oil so definitely has to be sealed. Thinking some high temp JB weld may do the trick for a year till I get my rebuilt CRD in there.

Is it hard to take Off the whole valve cover? And wouldn’t I then need to take off every injector?
My god this has turned into a nightmare �� thanks again!

Last edited by BlackHearts506; 03-11-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2018
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Unfortunately to pull the cover off you need to pull all of the injectors out.

Not an easy job to do.

JB Weld may work, certainly can't hurt.

Jason
Old 13-11-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi, I used devcon to repair a cracked cover, it even had a piece missing,
not my doing, but the repair held..
Old 14-11-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Did you get the injector out?

I've never done battle with injectors (yet) - can you get No5 out or must you cut a hole in the cowl panel? What about No4?
Post New Thread  Reply