Leaking coolant - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-12-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Leaking coolant

Well oh joy, got held up in Salmon Gums for 3 days whilst Eyre HWY was closed then before we hit Balladonia she boils. Had a quick look and thought it was water pump gasket, put in radiator repair stuff, copper based I think, and seemed to work for a while.
Anyway kept driving just sitting on about 80klm and did about 650k's towing van. Went to start up this am and had to crawl to Border Village doing about 70klm. Just losing water all the way (lucky we had our vans water tank full), got to here and spent the arvo draining and refilling radiator so I could put chemiweld in. Booked in for night and going to wait and see how it goes, doesn't look good though as still leaking.
Rang RACQ and will here from them tomorrow but nearest places are Ceduna, 500k's, Port Lincoln a further 300 but it's way bigger.
Trouble is it's Xmas and every mechanics are closed, oh and Ceduna has a 45 degree day coming, ouch.
Think I'm going to need a new water pump so will have to wait for that as well, on the plus side if we can get to Port Lincoln we can see our daughter for a day or two.
Anyway I suppose we have it better than some

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Old 24-12-2019
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

So what's involved with changing the water pump on a wj Grand 4.0 petrol? looks pretty involved from what I can see.

Old 24-12-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 290 Times in 211 Posts

You can do it in situ without pulling the radiator, remove the fan and drive belt, loosen and swing away the power steer pump and you have enough room although it is not the most pleasant task, but I have done plenty of worse tasks (usually on a jeep).
BTW the Fan is RH thread.

Last edited by Classic Boy; 31-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 26-12-2019
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Well looks like the tow from Ceduna can't do it, so they're getting one from Adelaide. This will be a day later arriving and then he has to rest overnight, then car, caravan and us all go together to Port Lincoln.
Getting non genuine part from Jeep Recyclers (218 bucks) and Port Lincoln Jeep to do the work. Don't know what they're like but will find out I suppose [emoji848]

Old 31-12-2019
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Well ordered the pump from Jeep Recyclers today, they have a none genuine part for $218, $256 with delivery. Hopefully will get here early next week

Last edited by steelo25; 31-12-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2020
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Well all done and seems to be working fine after a drive around Lincoln NP. [emoji846]
BUT found another prob, will start a new post about that