How to not exceed legal weights - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-04-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How to not exceed legal weights

When adding accesories and gear to your WK2, how do you manage to keep it under legal GVM ?
Really a big conundrum if you want to set up dual, ie take caravan, but dump and run for 4wd week here or there.

With the base weight ~ 2,340 kg, and a GVM of 2,949, that allows for 609 kg of extra weight
well 4 people and a load of fuel takes care of 485kg of that allowance, cant put the 3.5 tonne caravan on......
Adding bull barm which, rack, draws fridge rock slideres etc etc etc i have a (whish list) potential 1,532 kg of extras (in total), taking car to 923 kg ABOVE its allowable GVM.
So i understand there is no GVM upgrade available??
How have people limited the weight to legal?

And then tow 3,500 kg and GCM is to be under 6,094KG, so if car is at GVM, them max tow is 3,145kg..but you need the tow ball weight (take as 10%) so a 3.5 t van could have 350 kg ball weight...(wk2 max)....
so 4 people, full fuel tank and 3.5 ton van with NOTHING in or on car puts this at 226 kg above GVM,
Lets see, travel by self, save 250kg..........

mass GVM
Jeep 2,340 2,949
allowable payload 609 kg
overland
Trail Hawk
mass of extra item, kg
bull bar 80 kg
winch 33
rear step 40
rear draws 90 ?
fridge 22
rock slider 40
diffguards 35
roof rack 25
Snorkel 5
towbar est 20
long range tank 37
LRT fuel 75
Fuel 90
dual battery 30
driver 140
passager 120
dog 70
dog 2 65
gear 150
caravan tow ball weight 350
Roof tent 50

total Load 1,532 kg

Total loaded vehicle 3,872 kg

Amount below GVM -923 ............

Amount below GVM -923 ie 923kg over...GVM......
Old 27-04-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts

Simple.
You can't tow 3500 kgs.
None of the std toy utes or landcruiser can either.
Thats the sad news.
You will need a suitable vehicle to tow 3500 kgs.
Jeep wont do it.
Old 28-04-2020
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,357 Posts

I just love calculated figures, basically as said above if it says you can tow 3.5t that really means in the real world it will tow 2.8t because once you put the gear in you will be near max, you should never tow on the limits not good for the vehicles and not good on the road.... Never ever base loads on a plated tare weight for van or tug no matter what the vehicle they are a fairy tale figure that flew away when it drove out of the shed....

Going by your weights list I would say you need a RAM or Silverado.... even without towing upgraded suspension to carry all that stuff on the jeep, actually gotta laugh with a 70 and 65kg dog onboard you wouldn't have any room left for other stuff in the back so could delete the extra battery and other stuff....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 28-04-2020
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It's all been said.

There is precious little payload capacity as it is, add all the weighty accessory stuff and you're shot (one reason mine has none of it).

As for 3.5t, it means the chassis would be capable of pulling that weight without tearing apart, but that's pretty much in 'lab test' conditions, not in the real world. Same goes for other makes professing 3.5t tow rating.
Old 28-04-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

this is how i stay under gvm and still can take the whole family and the dog
Old 29-04-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
this is how i stay under gvm and still can take the whole family and the dog
I do exactly the same. The scary thing is, the GC tows it so well I tend to forget it's there until I look at the speedo doing 120kph.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 29-04-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,995 Times in 2,357 Posts

I used to do the same with the WG, retirement and age caught up, tents are all gone now, van tucks in behind and I don't carry a lot of junk..... 3 month camping trips soon sort out whats not really needed.

Went from this set up

to the Grand, many decisions on what gets left behind, be okay if we did van parks but off grid is our thing..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply