Weight Towing Calculations - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > MARKET PLACE > Wanted
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Weight Towing Calculations

To Suit: JGC MY21 S Limited Diesel
I’m a Newbie buying first Jeep & first Caravan.
Before we ordered the car; the Caravan manufacturer did weight calculations for us; & advised the S Limited we wanted to buy, would give us about 600kg payload for the Van & 600kg for the My21 S Limited.

But a contact has just told us these numbers are not right !

Can anyone advise who we can go to (a company etc) that can do the weights & Payloads possible calculations for us.

I found Website calculators all very confusing.
Old 01-04-2022
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

How much does the van weigh?
What is normal towball download of van?

GC Max towball download is 350kg I think, but remember, towball download counts towards your 600kg approx payload for the vehicle.

(Opens can of Worms).....
Old 04-04-2022
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi Mace 1

Thanks for your quick reply.
Apologies for my slow one.

Caravan weight is 2900kg

Ball Down Weight is 180kg

Max Ball weight is correct at 350kg for Jeep GC

Thanks chris
Old 04-04-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

This is a good article, not regulation, but a fair guide -

https://www.avannsw.com.au/blog/cara...tes-explained/
Old 05-04-2022
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

Thats a good article Fishframe. Highlights the issue of what is advisable (the 77% of GVM statement) as opposed to what is actually legal....

Now, back to the issue at hand, using P14 of this as a reference:

https://www.jeep.com.au/grand-cherokee/capability.html

Diesel Limited Tare Weight 2281 (Fuel weight and oil weight must be added, so lets say 80 kg?) Total approx 2360kg.

Deisel GVM 2949 kg. Deduct the 2360 from this, your actual carrying capacity is approx 590 kg. Then, deduct 180kg ball weight, which leaves 409 kg for any accessories you have fitted (bull bar, etc) and vehicle occupants and their luggage (disclaimer, if you load your van incorrectly,your ball weight may exceed 180 kg).

So, if you hook your 2900kg van up to the vehicle you will have a combined combination weight (GCM) of 5849kg if the vehcile is loaded to capacity. The GCM capacity of the vehicle (Vehicle plus content, plus any van plus content ) is 6099kg. This means you have 250kg of additional weight capacity available in the van before you exceed the 6099 GCM (6099 - 5849). If you are confident this additional van load capacity is sufficient, all good. If you arnt, you probably need to look at a lighter van.

So if you fit within the parameters above, you will be legal.

As a further example, if you hooked up a 3500 kg van to your vehicle - your 2900kg van plus 600kg of contents (3500 kg is your maximum rated towing capacity), your actual carrying capacity would be only 240kg (6099 - 3500 = 2599 kg. Then deduct Tare of 2360). With your 180 kg towball weight the driver would have to weigh 60 kg and be the only person in the vehicle to remain under GCM and therefore legal...

So, in my opinion, the advice you have been given that you can carry an additional 600kg in the van is incorrect.... You will exceed GCM with anything over 250kg.

There are many combinations out there travelling about that are over GCM because of too much weight in the van. Salesmen dont like to tell you real world figures......

Disclaimer... Opinions of myself only. Open the can of worms now....

Cheers, Al.

Last edited by Mace1; 05-04-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 13-04-2022
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi again Mace1

Your calculations were great/helped me to clearly understand; Thanks again!

I’m still waiting for the CVan manufacturer to respond,as they did the original Payload Cals of Car: 668kg & CVan: 630kg ( but they are now saying they didn’t know GCM was only 6099.)

?? Do you know if there is anyway to increase the GVM; & thus the GCM through Suspension etc changes, to our Jeep ?.

Ps: I’m having Air Bags fitted tomorrow,(inside rear springs) lighten long term fatigue/ware & tear on springs.

Thanks & Regards
Chris
Old 13-04-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrw View Post
Hi again Mace1

Your calculations were great/helped me to clearly understand; Thanks again!

I’m still waiting for the CVan manufacturer to respond,as they did the original Payload Cals of Car: 668kg & CVan: 630kg ( but they are now saying they didn’t know GCM was only 6099.)

?? Do you know if there is anyway to increase the GVM; & thus the GCM through Suspension etc changes, to our Jeep ?.

Ps: I’m having Air Bags fitted tomorrow,(inside rear springs) lighten long term fatigue/ware & tear on springs.

Thanks & Regards
Chris
Yes, no, maybe …..

https://www.club4x4.com.au/queenslan...laws-changing/