Air Locker for wk2 grand cherokee - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Air Locker for wk2 grand cherokee

Hi guys i found this arb locker on the internet. It is for wk2 grand cherokee but that is on the uk website. I tried google the arb Australia website but couldn’t find anything. Is this thing real or has anyone installed an air locker on the wk2 here in Australia?
Old 02-06-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 680 Times in 380 Posts

I came across that some one years ago and assumed it was an error. I’ve never seen one fitted on a WK2, nor a kit for sale anywhere else. Your best bet would be flicking them an email to confirm.

Old 02-06-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Maybe, maybe not. Probably not, but …..

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/je...ocker.2642778/
Old 02-06-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,153 Times in 610 Posts

Jeep decided in their ever growing wisdom from 2011 on to weld the crown wheel to the pinion carrier in the WK2 series diffs thereby excluding any future locker options...really good eh, so there are no after market lockers available for for the WK2 diff assemblies...short of the standard ELSD fitment to the Overland and above on the rear only.

The market just isn't big enough for the smallish number of punters wanting to go that way for a manufacturer to spend the big money on R & D to market the product.

The ELSD was standard fitment front and rear on the WH Overland but was dropped from the front diff in the WK2 in favour of the imo less effective ABS operated LSD in front of all WK2's.

It would be a massive improvement imo if there was an option, but there isn't now due to the welded crown wheel / carrier setup...
Old 03-06-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,958 Times in 2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
Jeep decided in their ever growing wisdom from 2011 on to weld the crown wheel to the pinion carrier in the WK2 series diffs thereby excluding any future locker options...really good eh, so there are no after market lockers available for for the WK2 diff assemblies...short of the standard ELSD fitment to the Overland and above on the rear only.

The market just isn't big enough for the smallish number of punters wanting to go that way for a manufacturer to spend the big money on R & D to market the product.

The ELSD was standard fitment front and rear on the WH Overland but was dropped from the front diff in the WK2 in favour of the imo less effective ABS operated LSD in front of all WK2's.

It would be a massive improvement imo if there was an option, but there isn't now due to the welded crown wheel / carrier setup...

Probably because the Grand Cherokee nowadays isn't the vehicle it once was in going to places that a locker would be really needed, its just too low and has too much stuff underneath to get bashed....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 03-06-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,153 Times in 610 Posts

Yeah, it is a shame no lockers.
The XJ Cherokee Sport I bought new in '96 had open diffs front and rear, I didn't pursue lockers for that though they were available.

My next WJ GC Overland had "Varilock" limited slip diffs front and rear which were pretty effective.

Then my WH Overland had ELSD's front and rear, (electronic limited slip differential), which would in fact go as far as locking for a few seconds as required then back off.

When ploughing through soft sand, especially when I had the camper on the back, I could here the electric motor in the front diff especially constantly wind up and release as it locked the front diff finding traction.

Now Jeep reckon the ABS based braking system to reduce wheel spin is "almost" as good...really?

I have seen a number of You Tube videos comparing systems, the ABS based system spends a fair bit of time scrabbling for traction on loose surfaces while the locking systems drive up and over.

We'll see how good this ABS system is at Fraser this year, being I had taken both the WJ and the WH to the top end of Fraser a couple of times, twice with the Camper on the Hemi WH Overland with no difficulty or even near getting stuck anywhere...

I shall report back of course with my findings...
Old 03-06-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,958 Times in 2,334 Posts

So many things come into play, surface condition, tyres and driver skill as to when you need to flick the switch or not, have seen some who made things worse as they locked it all up way too early ...................... On Cape York I fell in a hole and even with all 3 diffs locked, stuck like glued in place, took some cunning and luck to get out...... lots of cunning as the recovery gear was in camp.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply