2012 Grand Cherokee 3L CRD PCM/ECM/ECU - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-09-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 40 Times in 19 Posts
Default 2012 Grand Cherokee 3L CRD PCM/ECM/ECU

Hi Jeepsters,
I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the diesel engine and 5 speed auto. I have had this since new. Recently the car had an under bonnet smoke out due to the alternator failing and the PCM has also failed - according to forensic mechanical report. I spent months hassling with my nearest Jeep dealer who at first referred me to Jeep Customer Care who asked me a few ownership and car details and has now referred me back to the dealer who again isn't interested. Anyway, I bought a new alternator and fitted it but the car won't start as I need a PCM as well. Do you guys know where I can get mine rebuilt? I am on the Central Coast N.S.W. Could I trust getting one from a wreckers? How much of an exact match does it have to be? Would a 2011 or 2013 be compatible? Thanks very much for any assistance. Adrian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCM.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	79937  
Old 17-09-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 373 Times in 211 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Google “All Grand Cherokee” (03 85213329) & give them a call. All they do is wreck/repair WK2 Grand Cherokees - if they can’t help fix it then it ain’t broke

Cheers
Old 17-09-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,330 Times in 766 Posts

There's also a fella at Coffs Harbour called 'Jeeps'r'us' that has a good rep on this forum...being your Central Coast NSW based he may be 'a drive up the road'....both these guys have very good reps

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 18-09-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,971 Times in 2,343 Posts

As above for Go To places for sure, rattling my grey cells I'm pretty sure the PCM isn't plug and play and will need programming to matching up to the other systems in the vehicle........

If oyu haven't already got it go to a dealer with your ViN and rego papers and get the 4 or 5 digit code for your vehicle its handy to have and will allow non Jeep workshops to re-programme things.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 18-09-2022 at 06:28 AM.
Old 18-09-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 126 Times in 78 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
As above for Go To places for sure, rattling my grey cells I'm pretty sure the PCM isn't plug and play and will need programming to matching up to the other systems in the vehicle........

If oyu haven't already got it go to a dealer with your ViN and rego papers and get the 4 or 5 digit code for your vehicle its handy to have and will allow non Jeep workshops to re-programme things.
100% Drover.
A part number correct PCM will be needed along with pin code to allow the donor PCM to be matched to the vehicles VIN.
Old 20-09-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 40 Times in 19 Posts

Hi, the car is immobile in my driveway and I am reluctant to have it towed to the Jeep dealership. I have spoken to the Jeep dealership regarding the U-connect asking for a security code. They tried to find it online but had no success and the head mechanic then said it doesn't need one as the PCM will sort it out when replaced. The mechanic said the problem with the car not starting is the PCM and not the security code for the radio. So many competing thoughts it is confusing.
Old 20-09-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,971 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian2012 View Post
Hi, the car is immobile in my driveway and I am reluctant to have it towed to the Jeep dealership. I have spoken to the Jeep dealership regarding the U-connect asking for a security code. They tried to find it online but had no success and the head mechanic then said it doesn't need one as the PCM will sort it out when replaced. The mechanic said the problem with the car not starting is the PCM and not the security code for the radio. So many competing thoughts it is confusing.
Don't go back to that dealer if they can't find the code then they No Not What They Do, using your ViN they can bring up your Jeeps pin code, they do not need your vehicle to find it, the code is needed for anything to do with vehicle security like module, keys any security feature, its far more important than the old get the radio working code.... I'm pretty sure you need it when replacing a module, certainly to unlock if the immobilizer kicks in...........
When I aquired my code I rang the Service manager, emailed him my rego and licence details and he emailed me back my code, easy peasy, I got mine so that if I have a key problem while touring no stuffing around with a lock smith as he can then reprogramme things, when I have to call a dealer it means I'm in deep trouble and that goes for any vehicle....

Of course the old fail safe is disconnect battery and then ground both leads to discharge residual, have a coffee then come back hook them up again and see how things go.......... the battery must be fully disconnected as well as any aux battery/solar systems...... disconnecting POS and turning on every switch/light you can find has similar effect.... this will mean the whole system has to fully re boot.... mentions have been made of also unplugging ECM/PCM and other modules to clear all memories.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 20-09-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply