So Mr Flynn is retiring - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-02-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 575 Times in 296 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default So Mr Flynn is retiring

He started in 2019 with the idea of rebuilding the brand but sales have steadily declined since, however the article I read said he had done a good job. Position has gone to an ex Holden man

I suppose if you don’t fix the real reasons for the decline then more of the same gives the same result.

I wonder what the new guy will be like?

I came back from Japan and a mate of mine has just bought a GC L in limited, it’s a very nice and big vehicle, paid a good price for it, but the dealer couldn’t even program the tow bar wiring so it would work, they had to call on Jeep to do it!

Last edited by Treebreakerbob; 22-02-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 22-02-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 703 Times in 393 Posts

Poor Kevvy really did get a rough go at it - COVID and microprocessor supply chain issues, Jeep undergoing somewhat of a global market repositioning, Alfa and Fiat model offerings being limited and ageing... Jeep sales did increase (even if small) every year of his tenure except last though.

Be interesting to see whether Filazzola makes an impact - product decisions that are driving customers away are mostly out of his hands.

His experience includes "senior executive roles across sales, aftersales, customer experience, purchasing and supply chain, and product development but after sales" - so he should know his way around all aspects of the business. Not sure his oversight of GM/Holden products inspires confidence though...

Last edited by LeCheese; 22-02-2023 at 03:57 PM.
Old 22-02-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,995 Times in 2,357 Posts

More details Bob for us blockheads who really aren't aware of the Jeep politics, other than like all politicians have no idea of what the people who pay them really want or need............

I certainly won't be even looking at a WL as it doesn't fit my needs or wants.... RAM 1500 maybe? Ford Lightning possible if they can give it some decent range at present a round trip to Dan Murphys would kill it, of course the odd ball cost of them means they are a dream..

Folk who want a FWD which has some tow capacity won't go for a Jeep end of story, 3.5t tow cap means real world 2.8t so the WL misses big time, can tow a camper with ease... something they have missed entirely because they can't do maths.

I mention all this as they do/might read these posts...................

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 22-02-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,163 Times in 616 Posts

I fear for the future of the Jeep badged product in this country...if Stellantis really want to see the brand regain some credibility they have to go back to basics...sort out the Dealers, service, and the back up!

Unfortunately as you note LeCheese, most of the decisions are made else where when it comes to model availability and features. A local chief will get to sit in on Board meetings but have little influence.

Stallantis' push to electric and hybrid 4wd's I do not believe is helping the brand In Australia at all in reality...coupled with the fact the new GC does not have a diesel option and has lost near a tonne in towing ability...will see sales tanking further.
Sure, the US is not a big market for diesel, but there is the rest of the world to consider.

I think they have lost their way totally...trying to be a Global success by overseeing multiple brands will imo just see Stellantis losing ground on more fronts...
Old 22-02-2023
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
More details Bob for us blockheads who really aren't aware of the Jeep politics, other than like all politicians have no idea of what the people who pay them really want or need............

I certainly won't be even looking at a WL as it doesn't fit my needs or wants.... RAM 1500 maybe? Ford Lightning possible if they can give it some decent range at present a round trip to Dan Murphys would kill it, of course the odd ball cost of them means they are a dream..

Folk who want a FWD which has some tow capacity won't go for a Jeep end of story, 3.5t tow cap means real world 2.8t so the WL misses big time, can tow a camper with ease... something they have missed entirely because they can't do maths.

I mention all this as they do/might read these posts...................
I know it's been spoken about at length, but Jeep is undergoing the brand repositioning because they can do maths - realistically the mid-size diesel 4x4/towing market is mostly limited to Aus, which is a drop in the ocean for them in terms of sales. The development, manufacturing, sales, etc. costs associated simply don't add up for such a (comparatively) small market.

Sucks for us, but it is what it is. My current thoughts are that I'll be looking at a V6 Ranger or Everest, next-gen Prado/Hilux with the rumoured V6, or a 300 series when I move on from the WK2, but that won't be for a few years yet.

Old 22-02-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
He started in 2019 with the idea of rebuilding the brand but sales have steadily declined since, however the article I read said he had done a good job. Position has gone to an ex Holden man

I suppose if you don’t fix the real reasons for the decline then more of the same gives the same result.

I wonder what the new guy will be like?

I came back from Japan and a mate of mine has just bought a GC L in limited, it’s a very nice and big vehicle, paid a good price for it, but the dealer couldn’t even program the tow bar wiring so it would work, they had to call on Jeep to do it!
I feel it's a case of Techo,s , service personnel, have NFI or severely lack Fault Diagnosis based on what the vehicle is presented with and doing, whereas with everyone here on Ausjeep it's like having a real life, walking talking, Diagnostic set up at your fingertips, without having to dig deep into one's pockets, and be given bullshit reasons as to ( that's a normal characteristic trait of a Jeep)
How humiliating would you feel having a vehicle you sell, and not have the ability to carry out such an install or activation of associated wiring, hope all is good now mate
Old 22-02-2023
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
Stallantis' push to electric and hybrid 4wd's I do not believe is helping the brand In Australia at all in reality...
Nah I disagree - if they can be first to market with a hybrid and capable 4x4, which it looks like they will be, people are going to be at least interested. I know a number of people who are eagerly waiting for the first hybrid 4x4s and utes to come through.

These potential buyers aren't those who tow or travel long distances remotely, but the 'weekend warriors' who want to go camping a few hours out of town, tow the jet skis around, carry their wet scuba gear, etc., but then also have a reasonably economical and manoeuvrable vehicle they can commute to work with and around town during the week.

I see the Wrangler 4xe being particularly popular with this market, as it's already becoming something of a status symbol on high streets - for better or worse - much like the G Wagon and Defender.

I probably fit into the weekend warrior category more than most here, and can definitely understand the disappointment of those who need something different - but if they manage it right, I think they can knock it out of the park

Post New Thread  Reply