it was suggested to me....... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2002
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default it was suggested to me.......

I have a stock TJ, and it was suggested to me to get 33 with a suitable lift and skip the 31 stage all together.

its got me thinking esp cos heaps of you are running 33's and have stock gearing. btw it is a manual.

SO WATTA YA THINK????

Thanks

Deane
Old 03-08-2002
MudSplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dean,

I am still running 31's with stock gears, but I have an auto. Lotta guys run 33's with stock gears on a manual. Although not ideal it is liveable for awhile. If you know for sure you'll go 33's eventually then yes skip the 31 stage and go all out right away. I just bought new 4.10 gears(not installed yet) and will be going 33's soon. All depends on what you wanna do with your new TJ. You can run 31's with no lift at all. I see you're in Sydney. I suggest leaving it stock and going out with the SJC for run. Then decide.
Old 03-08-2002
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After just buying my 31's i was thinking maybe i should have skipped the 31 stage too...go figure.

How much are lifts more than 2 inch? [img]graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

I won't go any further than 33's on mine. The limit is 33's, gears and say a 4 inch lift, maybe an air locker in there too, eventually. Don't anyone tell me how much thats gonna cost coz i know i can work it out but i definately DON'T want to thinking about it. [img]graemlins/headspin.gif[/img]

I remember when you told me Deane that you wanted to keep yours stock as possible. How things change! :D

[ 03 August 2002, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: sir_camel ]
Old 03-08-2002
OG Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts

Just remeber you're angles guys if you're going to go to a 4 " lift you're going to have to look at an SYE for you're rear tail shaft.
I'm running the set-up you guys are talking about, 33's and 3.07 ratios. The poor old Jeep is straining a bit under the pressure and got a few too many drive line vibes for my liking.
My advice is if you're sure that you are going to be able to get a ratio change then go the 33's, but if you don't know stay with the 31's and get a bit of experience and then you'll know how you want you're Jeep set up.
I totaly agree with AussieYank about meeting up with the Sydney Jeep boys and going for a run and then you'll have a much better idea, it's no good setting up you're Jeep with 33's if you don't know what to do with them, there's nothing better you can do for you Jeep than know how to drive it! :D :D :D
Old 03-08-2002
Not a very good stuntmam

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

31s, 33s, Doesnt matter. Just get rid of those bloody tyres of yours! :D [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Something you have to look at when going to 33s is the amount of things you will also have to do. For example, if you go to 33x12.5s, you will most likely need to get new rims as well as new flares.

If you get a 2" lift now, and a set of cheap 2nd hand 31s, you can build up to 33s by adding a body lift later.

Just a thought...
Old 03-08-2002
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

set up a progress saver account at the bank, and start saving up, than do all the stuff in one hit. ie, drive shaft, lift, tires and diff ratio.

or you can do it in stages, and suffer the down sides in between the stages.
Old 03-08-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Someone once said it's about $1000 an inch when you do a lift Takes into account:
tires
flares
springs
shocks
bank fees&charges
etc etc
by now you'll want something else for your jeep money pit
stereo
air filter
lockers
sye
blah blah blah......