Flat fender or not to Flat fender..that is the question - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2002
Get 'er Done!!!!

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Flat fender or not to Flat fender..that is the question

After a productive day of finishing the drop tank
I'm back to working on the front. I running TJ flares and CJ guards but the guards I have should have been chucked out long ago. Dollars are running out so I'm thinking of boging them up for the time being and get it going or do I bite the bullet and find some others...The other option would be to flat fender it and just use the inner guard as the starting point..Anyone got any pics of flat fendered CJ...not just fender trimed..
Paz and Aussie...real keen to here your Idea's on this..

Cheers

CJ5350
Old 07-11-2002
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

CJ5350,
My Cj guards are in pretty poor conition too, so I'm looking at TJ flares and flat-fendering....I think it looks good and is an effective way of gaining some additional clearance...
Old 07-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

G'day CJ5350, I run tj flares on my cj but I use yj guards,they dont have the lip like cj guards so they fit up real easy and look factory. The only problam is finding them. I have a new set but it seems you are a bit strapped. If you are going to flatfender it I would be making custom guards, because you eill always get that rust problem between the two panels.
Cheers Mark
Old 07-11-2002

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I am in two minds about this and I think it depends on what you want your CJ for.

I am starting to think that they are just getting a bit more scarse and we are now seeing the bottom end of the TJ market being the same price or lower than the top end of the CJ market

based on this I want to keep my CJ7 looking just like it came but a bit bigger and a truck that works well. That is not totally orginal as in a concourse type vehical but still very much a CJ7

For just a plain trail rig then I would flat fender but instead of using the current gaurds I would take them of and store them just in case I need to convert back

Make a tube front that comes from the firewall ties in the shock hoops (so you can run longer shocks) and then follows the line of the grill at the front

I would then use flat sheet to fill in the gaps to make it nice and legal. This way if you need to you could lean the truck on the tube and not damage anything out on the track

This means no crappy rubber flares would be needed either

The hard part is getting the right proportions to make it look right

I have seen a couple of good pics of this and I prob have not explained it real well I will try to find some pics of what I mean
Old 07-11-2002

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

These might help your ideas

Just a few idews
Old 08-11-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if it was me,,and the guards were beyond repair,,i would hack them,,but if they were savable then i would do like aussie said and tube it,,would make it into a tilt front as well..it would make working on the chev so much easier if you could tilt it forward,,not that hard to do in my mind,,keep us posted on what you decide to do,,i can go into more detail about the tilt front if you want..
paz [img]graemlins/ukliam2.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2002
Established Member

Location: Brisbane/Springfield yea right next to Hommer Simpson
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know where there is a set of guards and a headlight center

http://forums.ausjeepoffroad.com/cgi...c;f=7;t=000065

i think he still has them [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09 November 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: CJer ]
Post New Thread  Reply