Storage rack for a CJ - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-07-2002

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Storage rack for a CJ

Kinda thinking out loud here

did anyone see the storage rack in the CJ in 4wd monthly ?

Do you think you could do the same but mount it off the roll bars ?

My thinking is that way it would not matter what top I use the Hard top the full soft top or the duster deck and bikini top it would increase the useable space by a lot

I was thinking that for camping the duster deck would keep all my cloths food etc dry and dust free but I could mount a fridge (not that I have one but my old man does [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) or strap down esky's and my recovery gear tool box etc in the rack where I can get to it if stuck and the dust etc wont worry it too much

I am not sure how to mount it to the roll bar so it wont slip down under the weigth but I was thinking U bolts to a bracket that the baskets supports mount to

anyway bouncing the idea of you guys and may be between us we can come up the plan and have a wenching weekend to knock a couple of these up ???
Old 24-07-2002
OG Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts

I know I haven't got a CJ but I'm making one with my old man at the moment for my TJ. We have started with a box skeleton made from marine ply which will store recovery gear, camping gear and will be accesable from the front and back with a divider in the middle to stop thigs moving to much. We then plan to put steel legs beside the box, inbewteen the wheel arch and box and place a wire "magazine" rack ontop for my fridge etc.
I'll post some pics when I finally finish it!
Old 24-07-2002

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

hey Lex

that sounds great look forward to the PICs

my idea is so that I can run any top including the duster deck that means it has to be supported off the roll bars and not some box in the tub or supports of out of the tub the trick now is to just work out how to make it strong enough which may not be possible that is why I am throwing the idea out there so we can see if it can be done

[ 24 July 2002, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: AussieCJ7 ]
Old 24-07-2002
UH OH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave,

i have been looking at a number of different idea's for mine that will incorporate a lugaage basket for running with the roof off and a full cage so that I have the added safety with the daughter in the back.

I do not have the plans on paper (only in my head) but will talk to you on sunday and give you an idea of what I'll probably do.

getting most of the ideas from guy's in the states. Ome of them said he'd email the plans for the rack system he did, but I cannot remember the site I saw it at.
Old 24-07-2002

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Just to give you an idea here is a pic similar to what I am thinking

Old 25-07-2002

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

higher you go the less weight you can put in it as the centre of gravity gets too high

that is also why i dont like the ones above the spare wheel out the back i think it is too much leaverage to tip u over backwards on steep climbs unless u only put light stuff in there

all the light stuff does not take well to dust mud and rain etc so it does not work

an esky with the lid strapped down does not worry too much about mud etc but it weighs a lot
Old 25-07-2002
UH OH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

very much along the lines of what I was thinking, but having the basket in the back higher.
Post New Thread  Reply