Underwater - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-02-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Underwater

Hey all

Just interested in what people may have heard or experienced when taking a WJ anywhere near a water crossing. It's a given that without a snorkel, it's a foolish excercise. However, with this said, there are pleny of pics on US sites that show people doing just that... in both WJ's and XJ's. Water up to the top (or very near) of the grille.

eg:

OK - so how waterproof (even if we don't go to the top of the grille ever) are the:

1) Low-slung gearbox/engine electrical components/wires/plugs that are under water? Are Jeep-quality connections likely to suffer with the occaisional dunking?

2) Headlights - will they fill up if dipped for any length of time? Are they sealed or open (i.e. replaceable H4 bulb holders that need to be waterproofed)? Most serious 4WD's have totally sealed units for this reason. Expensive to replace... but more reliable. The WJ also has a complete headlight, parker and indicator assembly, with at least 4 bulbs that have to have replacement access. I can't imagine that they'd be terribly waterproof. I've not taken one of mine out yet to see...

3) Under-bonnet fuse boxes and ECU's - the fusebox seems to be totally unsealed. Even piles of dust get in to the fuse area, making keeping it clean and reliable a nightmare. I can imaging that water would be even worse. On all fourbys I've had in the past - these boxes are sealed with a rubber grommet/gasket that keeps the greeblies out and the fuses and relays dry and clean. Spinning fans and engine belts will spray water all over the place when the bottom of the belt (or part thereof) become immersed.

4) Engine injestion. Looking at the airbox, it is quite well designed. Water is NOT guarranteed to go straight into your intake manifold, as the pickup feeds the bottom of the box, and air is drawn upwards through the filter. I estimate that a couple of litres af water forced into the airbox would be needed (before it drained out) before it made it up through the filter and into the intake system. Not an ideal setup, but still pretty good for a splash or two over the bonnet...

5) Breathers. Has anyone ever extended the diff breaters up into the engine bay at the front, and into the rear D-pillars at the rear? How good are the seals on the gearbox (the Merc one will be a big question for a while as there aren't many around - CRD only) and the NP247 transfer case? I can see the front diff breather extension going up into the engine bay - to a point right in front of the anti-lock brake ECU, and it can be extended further. I can't see the rear one without llifting the car onto a hoist. Does anyone know where it goes?

Are modern Jeeps meant to be reasonably well water-rated? Are they built to take a Cape York trip in their stride - again, given a snorkel or good water blind and a bow-wave? It seems that there's so much to do before confidence in the car will let me go truly bush.

Any comments anyone?
http://www.omaroo.net
Old 28-02-2004
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i'll read this later..
i havent had too much problem with driving in MUD?WATER..
except a granaded drive shaft.
Old 29-02-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsta
i havent had too much problem with driving in MUD?WATER..
except a granaded drive shaft.
Well that's reassuring.......

Old 01-03-2004
AJOR Gold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Well 4WD Monthly managed to drown one in apparently very shallow water. From what I understand, the issue wasn't that it drowned straight up, apparently when they hit the water too hard the Jeep died for obvious reasons. Then they restarted it, seemingly with no issues, etc then the water stuck in the airbox got sucked up.

Of course you could argue that was just a bit of bad luck (or perhaps they were trying to get too big a spash for the cameras??)
Old 01-03-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ben - this was the V8 or the CRD?
Old 01-03-2004
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Mate - back to basics.
What the supplied picture should show is a Radiator Blind over the front of the Jeep.

If you'r going to play in water then get sensible. Make sure all plugs in the engine bay are firm fitting and even coat them with di-electric grease to make doubly sure, especially the computer plugs. But water should not get anywhere near there.
Extend the diff breathers for sure. Headlights are not waterproof-able in the true term. Heat is the key here.

All components are running hot before you hit the proverbial. By the time you stop, turn the headlights off, fit up your radiator blind snugly, walk across the wet stuff and plan your track, come back to the Jeep and change into dry duds, have a cuppa and a chat, all components should be cool as.
Now drive into the water at an even pace - enough for a bow wave which will keep the engine and most of the transmission dry - but you know that technique....

The killer with water crossings is heat in a component the quickly cools in water. The component will drag in water/mud very quickly even with a breather! Trick is to let everything cool down beforehand.

A snorkel is a good investment but not a necessity in normal water crossings. Just take the outside air intake funnel off and use a blind...unless you want to continually swim the Jeep up a river somewhere.....
Old 01-03-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OzJeeper

I agree wholeheartedly with you as I've been doing water crossings in 4WD's for decades. I used to go out every weekend and cross a river somewhere. I've competed in events that caused me to see fish through my windscreen Been there... done that

My question regards the reliability of Jeep (in particular the WJ) and how reliable people have found Jeeps in general in these conditions versus any Japanese (in particular) fourby such as a Patrol or Cruiser. I've only ever had Japanese 4WD's, and I know where their particular weaknesses are and how to go about addressing them. I don't know how Jeep engines, (in particular the CRD) gearboxes, diffs, transfer cases, lights, etc handle these same conditions. I guess it's only because I'm new to the Jeep brand, and my WJ doesn't yet enjoy my confidence. It has to prove itself... whereas my Patrol has proven itself - many times. I'm not a great fan of the Dana axle... that's for sure, but I'm stuck with them now.

For instance - my mates with LandCruisers always have problems with water injestion through the rear axle wheel bearings - even with properly extended breathers (some 6 foot off the deck!!!) yet the Patrol's bearings have never leaked. Having said that, my Patrol used to let water in to the bell housing easily, yet the Toyota 4.2 diesel's housing has never shown any of us the same problem.

Even with the Patrol having a snorkel - I do two extra things when wading through water. I put a specially-built 12-oz canvas blind that covers the entire front of the car up to the windscreen and to the diff underneath. I also have a locking mechanism built into the fan that temporarily locks the blades so that they can't turn and pull themselves foward through the water and into the back of the radiator. The viscous fan clutch just sits there and slips until I'm through the crossing.

I've never treated water cossings with anything but utmost respect. I do not like the prospect of a) getting stuck in a remote area without transport due to mechanical or electrical failure ... and b) I don't relish the repair bills.

Cheers
Chris
Post New Thread  Reply