wet carpets - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-12-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default wet carpets

Now while I still consider carpet to be an unnecesary luxury in a 4by...

After driving in moderate to heavy rain, the passenger side carpet ends up wet, really wet. We had the windscrceen and seals checked and not a drop came through.

It seems to be coming in from underneath a fellow club member used to have an XJ and said someting about the sill not being closed and just dumping water into the footwells. If this is the case, why does it only happen on the pax side??

I've done a search of the forum but couldn't find any other reference to it does anybody else have this problem?? Is there a fix??

cheers

97 TDi XJ

95 XJ
Old 15-12-2004
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: wet carpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper in Oz
Is there a fix??

yeah, drive to WA......... we need the water....lol

sorry,

My old man had an XJ and it didn't have any problems like that. Not even doing deep crossing's. He lives in NSW as well, so heaps of rain...lol
Old 15-12-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The door trim has'nt been taken off and the plastic water barrier removed has it? Water will leak down the window and dribble into the cab if the sheet of plastic has been removed and not replaced. Worth a look maybe?
Old 15-12-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

will do

97 TDi XJ

95 XJ
Old 16-01-2005
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

okay, any more suggestions.

The water is definatly coming from underneath.

driving on wet roads, or the beach and the baby starts to wonder of her capsule will float.

I've pulled out pax seat and back seat, the carpets are completely sached, I've put the fron pax wheel up on a ramp and am pumping out the water that collects in front of the rear seat against the transmission tunnel (and that is a lot of water).

After getting off the beach yesterday, there was visible water in the rear seat footwell, ie, under, thru and on top of the carpet.....

I've had a roll around underneath and can't see any explanation.

I can only assume (by the shear volume of water) that it must be being forced in such as wheel spray up under the arches and finding a way in...

Any help appreciated

97 TDi XJ

95 XJ
Old 16-01-2005
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

are all the little rubber plugs in place??? will require removal of carpets I guess but maybe its comming in from underneath
its a long shot..
Old 16-01-2005
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nah, drain plugs all in place

97 TDi XJ

95 XJ
Post New Thread  Reply