over heating - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-12-2004
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default over heating

who owns a xj td 01 or around the same year and it over heat.? mine did it last sunday, didn,t get to the red zone but close. this all happen climbing up the toowoomba range. those of you who know it you know it can play havic on your car. any ways i had the engine coolent spewing out of the radiator cap, i went through my manual to see what could cause it, hot day. it was, driving steep hills, it is, driving long kms at high speeds, we had. i took the xj to jeep in toowoomba, so far it maybe somthing simple, then again when we drive off at slow speed a noise comes from the engine bay, and the only way to describe it, sounds like air being let out of a ballon at the mouth piece with that sqell sound. shits me. toowoomba jeep has no idea,[closer inspection on the 28 dec] so anyone know what noise is?. the jeep hs only 49,oookm on the clock, so lets hope its not the head jasket.
so thanks if anyone can help. merry xmas to you all.
terry of toowoomba.
Old 22-12-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dont have the same vehicle as you however the noise you describe just sounds like any car thats boiling and its the steam getting out of the radiator

If it was the head gasket making the noise (this is most unlikely) you would expect to see fluid coming out there - .

lets hope the head gasket is not blown - look under the oil filler cap for milky substance - which is one sign the gaskets gone.

good luck Terry

Old 23-12-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking it's one of two things......or maybe both. First one is check the serpentine belt isnt slipping, that might account for the squealing noise. The second - is the fan "roaring" when the engine heats up. Its suppose to, the viscous coupling on the front has a spring that makes the fan speed up when the temp rises. Mine fan doesnt and i get temperature fluctuations and high temps on hot days. I suspect my spring is broken. This migh accoun for the increased running temp.
Hope this helps.

Or a third thing i just thought of - check your A/C compressor nose. If its loose and a bit wobbly, that means the nose bearing has carked it and that causes a squealing noise - a really bad one too . Easy short term fix is to remove the drive from the back of the power steering pump.
Old 24-12-2004
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mate sorry can't suggest anything but hope you sort it out and hv a Merry Christmas !

FYI my 99 TD normally needle sits on 90 but last time i drove on the beach for a good few hours on a vry hot day neddle sat at 100 but didn't go past that.

cheers.
Old 26-12-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Terry, I agree with most of the advice and suggestions above, , firstly I have a '96 XJ petrol and know the Toowoomba Range well, I have towed the Jayco over there a number of times and have not had an overheating issue so take it from me, there is something that needs attention on your Jeep. I think the sound that you describe is a good clue, you may have a problem with your water pump operation, either the serpentine belt is loose and the noise you hear is slippage or, you have a crook bearing in your water pump and it is loading up, either way, easy to check....loosen the belt and spin the water pump pulley, it should sping easily with no binding, if that checks out tighten the belt, it should have about 13mm deflection between the pullies with the biggest distance between them, too tight is not good. too loose and, well you describe the noise perfectly.
Having done that, start your engine, remove the radiator cap before it heats up and peer inside, you dont wanna see any bubbles in there.
If that all checks out and you still have a problem then I would suggest you need a good old clean out, the proper way, both tanks should be removed and the tubes cleaned, go visit Hammond 4 x4, Capalaba.
Good luck.
Old 27-12-2004
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go and have a talk to your local radiator man I agree with what brizXJ says although you have only done 49,000ks it should have had at least one Flush and coolant replacement Dont know if you have had the XJ from new if not don't assume that it was done at the 36month service(72,000ks) although it is listed to be done as a service item as is the auto box service (adjust bands, replace fluid & change filter screen) at 30 months(60,000ks) the dealer will only do them if you specificly ask for them to be done This I find strange that dealers choose not to follow D.C. reccomended services

Dont take life seriously Nobody gets out alive
Old 28-12-2004
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Terry, I have a 98XJTd and over a period of times had a number of problems with the cooling system. First noticed some overheating and loss of fliud. eventually turned out to be the waterpump. You will notice fluid dripping out of the overflow tube at the bottom front of the motor below the bottom pulley. Later a further slight overheating went to the local Natrad place good guy in Bathurst. Replaced the thermostat and resevoir cap (keep for spare) some improvement. then found a slight leak from the hose that runs from the waterstat housing to the waterpump. Replaced house $19 part $22postage. The guy used a hose clamp that gives an even pressure all the way around. Fixed. Then a further loss of fluid turned out to be the O ring seals at each end of the radiator (metal core onto plastic tanks) this was a bigger job as the radiator had to be pulled out. They were able to properly clean out the radiator core (about 20% blocked). Since then everything great. Runs about first mark before 100 and up to 100 powering up a big climb or towing Jayco Finch settles back to normal quickly afterwards. In checking the noise take the serpentine belt off and check each bearing but the pump itself will make a racket. Hope this helps. These problems were over an 8 to 10 month period. My advice check fluid levels regularly and take action straight away. Good Luck.