Disc Brake Pads - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Disc Brake Pads

Just after any suggestions on suitable Disc Brake Pads for my
Jeep ['98 ZJ] main use is for towing boat and day to day transport.
I had a set fitted about 4 months ago by Jeep dealer but all they are
good for is squeeling and dusting up the mags. Any ideas on what to use
or what type people have found suitable? Jeep is usually used on
weekend up on the farm so road use would be about 80%

thank's barjen [S.A]
Old 05-03-2005
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try Repco.
Old 05-03-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank's for that,
What I was really after if possible was a brand or type
of pad that was popular or well known. Will ring Repco
and ask their advice, will ring the city and also try a few 4X4 stores.
Old 05-03-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a set of Aussie Bendix fitted,,they dont squeel but do stop with a slight shudder..they have been in there for 20K and would be 2/3rds worn...there is some dust, not too much I think..the main thing is that they stop the Jeep ok..I tow a 15' Jayco and even though it does have electric brakes I am yet to experience fade. The first original set lasted 25K..these will do better I'm thinking. As one would expect from Aussie stuff.
Old 06-03-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

I put Bendix on my XJ when I replaced the Disk Roters. BIG MISTAKE all they did was grumble and shudder and protest under heavey breaking, almost sounded like metal to metal when you wear the pads out. Pulled them off couple of days ago and put pads on from the dealer. Problem Gone breaks are as quiet as!!!

The difference I noticed.

Bendix: Grey metal in the pad 2 cleaning or cooling slots.
Crysler Jeep: Gold metal in the pads 1 slot. They also seem much harder in the finger feel department.

This may not help much but if the breaks are protesting or grumbling something is wrong. As well I don’t think there should be a lot of particle residue either?
Old 06-03-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank's for the advice , The pads from the jeep dealer were apparently non genuine so I might try and get some clues from the dealers in Adelaide.
All the brake fitters say that theirs are the best, but will not give any guarantee's
against noise or wear rates.
Just have to keep looking I suppose ..
Barry..
Old 06-03-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Barry, several people I've spoken with have used none genuian and had drama of some type. They do it to save a few dollars. The Genuine pads that I describe solved my problems. In fact the giy at the Altra Tune down the road was walking past when I was doing them and he walked up to say G’day. When I told him what I was doing he said, “Yeah I’ve often had problems with clients and Chrysler break parts I only use pads from Chrysler now when I do breaks. There must be something in it?