what transfer case?? cj5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2005
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Default what transfer case?? cj5

hey fellas,
i am changing my drive line in my early 5 and by doing this i will have my tailshaft in the middle with the Dana 44 rear that i am putting in. But the transfer case i have has an off-set rear.
So what would be a good center drive transfer case to run behind a 302 and a 4spd box?
Has anyone got something out there?
where could i find something, i dont want to spend thousands, i have a few parts i could sell off to get the money together.

Thanks

AJ...
2018 Harley-Davidson FXFBS
Old 02-06-2005
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

transfer case dana 20 or dana 300,
300 is lower geared, but.... it wont just bolt up to your existing gearbox

do you know which gearbox you have now?
Old 02-06-2005
Full Flexer

nope but i will find out. its a 4spd? reverse is pulled down into my leg. it also has a warn overdrive attached.
i was told a 300 would do the job if i made some sort of addapter.
i will get back to this thread when i know more.
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2005
Lowranger Shocker

I am assuming there is something wrong with the offcentre d44 in your early cj
for you to want to swap a centred d44 in ???

your box is more than likely t90 3 fwd 1 rev, and the xfer spicer 18 twin stick,
Old 03-06-2005
Full Flexer

I have 2 jeeps.
early cj5 that i have just fully re built except for the driveline.
Also a cj6 i got for parts, i want to swap the drive train over into the cj5.
my cj5 has the t90 3spd with overdrive, offset diffs both with LSD.
The cj6 has 302, 4spd??? with the same overdrive as the cj5, same offset transfer as the 5 and a center drive dana44 with locker.
The tailshaft on the 6 is at an angle which is ok but, i dont want to run the tailshaft at an angle in the 5 because of the shorter wheelbase.
so i am searching for a centerdrive transfer to comlete the driveline swap.

sorry if this sounds confusing, im a little confused myself
Old 03-06-2005
Lowranger Shocker

the cj6 sounds like it has a t18/spicer 18 combo with overdrive, which is a pretty good setup, the offset transfer case to centred d44 is radical tho, first thought, I'd keep the offset d44,
if you want to put in a centred xfer case and keep the t18 and do it on the cheap
you'll have to use a d20 xfer and do a bit of research to see if your parts are compatible
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/xfer/d18.html
have a read.
Old 03-06-2005
Full Flexer

thanks for that mate, this will help me alot when i have the running gear pulled out. i will be able to get my head around it once i have all the parts laid out infront of me.
Thanks again :P
Post New Thread  Reply