painting standard rims... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-08-2006
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default painting standard rims...

sounds like a dumb question, but are there any tricks to doing it or is it simply a matter of ripping out the black spraycan and spraying a few light coats till its black ?

dont want it to look like a matt finish, glossy would be nice

?
Old 22-08-2006
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

---------------------------------------

Last edited by uberbb_xj; 24-08-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 22-08-2006
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

um i cleaned my rims first with metho i think.. when u get new rubber put on they spray this sniney stuff on the rubber and it actually after many washed stays on the rims and makes the paint bubble. so clean them first and wait for them to dry..

i went and bought a spray can of ENAMEL matt black and sprayed away in light coats so it didnt dribble and yes i painted on the rubber a little too.. aparently it does damage to the rubber?? but it didnt affect me for 10,000km b4 i replaced them with new rubber and i still run the others as spares..

mine came up really nice with the white jeep and black rims..

hope thats helps.
Old 22-08-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sasreg - yes you could say that

aussierc - thanks mate ill have a go at that - how many cans did you use ?
Old 22-08-2006
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

one can of the good Dulux brand can but 2 to be safe.. my dads sunrasiers took 4 cans of that cheap as chips 2 dollar stuff.

i gave mine 1 coat and they still havnt scratched through to the rim.
Old 23-08-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just painted my grille satin black looked much better than the chrome.

Next is the wheels, by the time you have paid to have the tyres removed and paid for powdercoating I reckon you could be up for a few hundred $$.

Spraying yourself must be the easier option.

Clean the wheels of all grease etc and before spraying any paint, I suggest a couple of coats of spray Etch Primer $9.95 for big 400g can from Auto One. 2 cans should be more than enough, gives a good base for the black top coats. I don't want Flat Black and gloss is not my choice. I bought some Anchor Quick Dry Lacquer Paint $10 per can in Satin Black, it has a nice finish in between flat and gloss.
I reckon $50 all up should do the trick and a bit left over for touchups down the track.
Old 23-08-2006
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have painted a few in the past with "Hammertone" has a wicked look to it and it sticks like sh*t to a blanket. Really good coveridge and you can get it in different colours, tough as as well. I did some two peice rims on a mistubishi grey outside and gold inside looked sweet. I even sprayed the back quarter panels with it where it gets stone chipped. My 2 cents worth.