Lack of Power - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2008
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Lack of Power

My XJ 96 Sports after I have been driving and bouncing around the bush tracks for a hour the engine has a lack of power and I cant get it to rev above 2500-3000rpm. After the engine has been stopped for a 1/2 hour it behaves ok.
I first thought it was bad fuel after having a half tank of fuel added from a servo I dont go to, but Its happened since I have filled up at my regular servo but only after bouncing around the bush.
I read the other posts that talk about fuel pump problems and cat problems how would I check these out.

Thanks for any input.
Wally
Old 06-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

check the vac line from the intake mani to the map sensor (behind mani)
Old 06-02-2008
LokRinger

Liked 1,768 Times in 560 Posts

Also check your fuel filter and or your exhaust. You might have crushed a pipe or the cat has collapsed. Bang on it and see if it rattles. Needs replacing if it does.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 06-02-2008
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you played in lots of dust also, the air cleaner could be blocked and choking for air.
Old 06-08-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how did you go with this? mine is doing the same thing. Also, when i put my foot all the way down, i get a choking sound like its running too rich and a lack of power. if i bring my foot back to half throttle, my power returns.

any ideas?

Jon
Old 06-08-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a common problem is the fuel pump as the plastic lining gets eaten by pertrol (maybe jeep should of thought about the plastic they used to line the tank with a little harder) it can build up at the fuel pump and start to make it run very intermittently. or at high volume not enough fuel gets through. bouncing around in the bush may of dislodged a clump of it and pushed to a corner or got stuck at fuel pump. very hard to diagmose from 1000K's away with out hearing it though. but another possiblity
Old 06-08-2008
AJOR Silver

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

My problem was the O2 senor under the car it had it's wiring torn (probably after going bush) and the wires were occasionally shorted when driving over rough ground this caused the engine management computer to change settings and cause rough idling.
After I repaired the wires everything was fixed and the engine behaved.