Caravan/ZJ->XJ console writeup(Beta): - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-02-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Caravan/ZJ->XJ console writeup(Beta):

More to follow shortly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliJeepinTJ View Post
You're a fukkin nerd ... but that was pretty cool.
Ok to do this you will need a 96-98 ZJ trip computer, 96-98 ZJ BCM(body control module).

You could probably make the whole ZJ console fit into the XJ(its mount at the rear is the same), and do the wiring below to make work.

Or you can take a consol out of a minvan(which is the same as the XJ, with the exception of the computer), and use the ZJ guts(look below for that post from another person).

Testing apparatus of dangling wires:

Headlights on, displayed on brightest dim setting:

Headlights on, lowest dim setting:

This is the connector for the sentry key module, if you do or dont have this you could tap into the CCD bus here. If you do have it then you could still tap into in the CCD bus, but I would recommend pulling power/ground from the cig lighter. If you dont have the sentry key then you could pull your power, ground, and CCD bus lines from this unused plug, and run 2 wires for the temp sensor up to the ZJ BCM which would be convenently stored and wired out of the way under the steering column in that huge space shown.

This would mean you would only need to run a single switched power wire up to the over head consol, all the other wiring will be in place.

Otherwise if you choose to install the ZJ BCM up with the overhead console(end there is room to tuck it up there, you would need to run a power, and 2 wires for the temp sensor.

I like the solution of putting the ZJ BCM down at the kick panel and then running only a single power wire from the cig lighter up to the overhead console.

This is the pinout diagram for the sentry key connector:

Here are the specific wires that you will need to use for the ZJ BCM:

And the pinout diagrams of those:

You will need the CCD bus, grounds, courtesy lamps, and fused power to provide to the ZJ trip computer:

Here is the ZJ trip computer pinout(the red connector in the above photos).
Connect your switched power wire you run and your wires from the RKE plug to make this work, like I said above you can either put the ZJ BCM up there and tie it into all that wiring, like I did on my test setup, or put it down at the footwell, it wont matter either way, the ZJ BCM transmits the data on the CCD bus, so it doesnt matter where you put it(you could even put it in the engine bay and tie into the CCD bus at the PCM if you felt so inclined)

dietz wireup on using the vinivan consol, combine his console with my ZJ wiring stuff and you have yourself a rigged up but perfectly functional consol for a XJ that looks and works the same.

dietz writeup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJ3 View Post
Ok, so I was rooting around in the junkyard today and I came across a 95+ Chrysler minivan with what appeared to be the same center roof console as an XJ... I did a little more looking around and decided I would go ahead and grab it, and see what I could come up with.

I noticed that newer ZJ's had a blank dummy pannel the same sized as the one in the minivans except it was lacking the rear window switches. So I grabbed one of these.

Here you can see the difference between the Cherokee Overhead console and the Minivan Overhead console.

This is what you will start with.

To convert the Minivan Console you need to remove the back pannel from the console.

End result:

Oh and on the console itself there is a Jeep part number as well as the minivan part number so they are the same unit.

I even went as far as plugging the 2 consoles into my 96's existing overhead console's wiring and it worked perfectly with the exception of gas mileage and trip computer. So I would assume you would be able to get this to work in a pre 96, without the gas mileage or trip computer working. Next time im up the yard im going to grab the wire harness from the minivan and see if this works as well.

Hope this helps you guys!
Old 18-02-2008
Yeah I bought another one

Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Umm, did I miss something in the write up? Why would I want to do this?
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 19-02-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo View Post
Umm, did I miss something in the write up? Why would I want to do this?
The overhead console just give you some little nice things.

Better interior lights, garage door open and sunglass storage,

Has some computer features which are neat:
compass, outside temp
distance to empty
a second trip odometer
average gas mileage
instantaneous gas mileage
elapsed trip time

its just a cool little thing, and very few XJs came with it, since it was kinda a pricey package. which also means they are not common in the junkyards, so finding them is nearly impossible. this is a way to create one from junkyard parts and have it work pretty cheap.
Old 19-02-2008
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zluster View Post
The overhead console just give you some little nice things.

Better interior lights, garage door open and sunglass storage,

Has some computer features which are neat:
compass, outside temp
distance to empty
a second trip odometer
average gas mileage
instantaneous gas mileage
elapsed trip time

its just a cool little thing, and very few XJs came with it, since it was kinda a pricey package. which also means they are not common in the junkyards, so finding them is nearly impossible. this is a way to create one from junkyard parts and have it work pretty cheap.
All standard on most XJ from late 1997 up. Not sure on the diesel's.
Old 19-02-2008
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looks like a LHD Jeep, maybe the overhead console was wasn't standard in the US from 1997?
Old 19-02-2008
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dont think Aussie Grand ZG's got the roof console.
Old 19-02-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims_Jeep View Post
Looks like a LHD Jeep, maybe the overhead console was wasn't standard in the US from 1997?
It sure was not, in fact less than about 5% of em came with it here.

Now I know where they all went.
Post New Thread  Reply