Rob's XJ Build - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-03-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Default Rob's XJ Build

Have had our 2000 XJ Sport auto 4.0 for about 18mths now, my wife's daily driver as I have a company car.

Had seen very little off road if any when we purchased it with 80,000 on clock, now with 106,000 it has only been to Fraser Island towing my camper and to Land Cruiser for the weekend.

I have been happy with the XJ, except as it is my first Jeep and replaced my 1993 air suspension Range Rover Classic I was quite disappointed in the articulation otherwise quite impressed with where it could go at Land Cruiser on the standard tyres.

After going through Gojeep's site and through many of the threads on this forum and a couple of the US sites, I started to call around to get info from people about how and what I should do to my Jeep to achieve a vehicle that would do what I wanted, would survive a trip to Cape York towing a camper trailer (not the Jayco style I towed to Fraser, but an Off Road trailer based camper).

I spoke to Hammond's about Pro Comp, Footo's about ARB, 4WD1 about Rancho, but it was Dave Woodley - Wooders that was prepared to spend time to discuss my needs/wants. Several times before I was even close to ordering anything.

Eventually I did make an order, I could of purchased another XJ for the same money, however, what is it they say "it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" well I think I am beginning to understand, my wife is taking a little longer to come to grips with it.

For those interested you can follow the build/frustrations of modifying an XJ
Old 14-03-2008
Full Flexer

Default What is done so far

Picked up 5 x TJ alloy wheels with near new tyres - good score look great

Picked up 2nd hand ARB winch bull bar - my ignorance may make many laugh, but went to fit it and found out that pre '97 are different bars to post '97. Sold that bar to Interxj.

Picked up a 2nd hand long range fuel tank - my ignorance is stunning again the pre'97 if different and here was me thinking the only difference was cosmetic.

Sold that tank via the forum as well, so far my e-bay purchases have now cost me just over $100 (difference between what I paid and what I sold for, basically sold for what I paid but lost freight charges)

Picked up 2nd hand ARB non winch bull bar from Jeep Parts Recyclers in Hervey Bay, wrong colour but OK

Purchased some U beaut POR15 paint supposed to be as good as powder coating and goes on with a brush. (they assume you can paint, I obviously can't) had runs everywhere, very difficult to sand back off, sprayed bar with canned bull bar paint from Auto One. Worked and looks OK at a fraction of the POR15 I wasted.

Purchased a long range tank from 4WD systems, installed as per instructions, had a leak, had to drain fuel and still driving around, until I have time to measure up brackets for the side, as I read that Interxj had his fall out. 4WD systems have sent me some brackets to weld over the ends of their straps, but I still want to put side supports on that will bolt to the tow bar brackets.

Fitted the ARB front bar after much trouble, the bolts that come with the kit had been cross threaded at some time, so I ordered a fit kit from ARB, just before Christmas, the kit that arrived was for the early model bar that I had sold, so finally by 15th January they had correct kit in for me to fit bar.

Also at the time did headlight wiring upgrade and wired 2 x IPF 800XS lights to bar.

Last edited by xjrob; 14-03-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 14-03-2008
Full Flexer

Default Tyres and suspension

Tyres I wanted were Mickey Thompson MTX, however, they no longer make these, next choice was Mickey Thompson MTZ, they don't make these in a 30x9.5 15, which is the largest size that will still go in standard position.

After researching and suggestion by Gojeep I looked at the Hankook RT03, spoke to someone who had them and they said they seemed OK in the wet and were not too noisy.

So I purchased 8 Hankook RT03 30x9.5 15 - 5 on the mags for the Jeep and 3 on the Jeep steel wheels for my camper trailer that I had not yet purchased.

Was going to buy the Rubicon Express 3.5" kit, however, Wooders suggested that the 30" tyres may look lost and 31" would be better, so I decided on a Rusty's 3" kit with Bilstein 5150 shocks and Rubicon Express arms
Old 14-03-2008
Full Flexer

Default Purchase list

3" Rusty's lift kit (includes - 3" full leaf springs for rear 180lb, 2 x 3" lift 180lb coils for front - 4 x Bilstein 5150 shocks)

RE superflex lower control arms
RE superflex adjustable upper control arms (to rectify caster)
Adjustable Panhard Rod
Toys by Troy Alumi-Flex tie rod
RE SYE (hack and tap) with double cardan drive shaft
JKS quicker disconnects
T & T Customs heavy duty belly guard (only time I have hit bottom was going up dry creek over rocks and dropped onto the transfer case, had to reverse carefully as rock was up between cross member and transfer case guard.) cheap insurance
JKS cross over shock mount (remember I want articulation like a Range Rover without the 4 air bags or 4 coils)
Solid front and rear diff covers to increase protection and rigidity of axle.

Then I was not happy with the performance loss or increase in fuel consumption after fitting 30" tyres

So to re-gear I ordered Yukon 4.11 gears they needed centers as the standard centers were not correct size

So why spend money when you can spend even more - so I ordered a Superior Super 35 with Detroit locker for rear and a Detroit True-Track for the front.

Like I said, could buy another XJ - but this should be a capable car

Still to purchase before my trip

UHF - GME 3400
Adrad replacement radiator (mine has been good no overheating at all, however, Footo tells me he has never seen one last 8 years, normally cactus by 6 years.
At same time will do water pump, thermostat and all radiator and heater hoses, will carry old hoses as emergency spares.

Super 35 and front and rear ratios and new diffs fitted by Footo's (Westside 4WD in Brisbane, only hiccup was Solid diff cover for front would not fit due to clearance issues with panhard, will need to be filled back to clear.
Old 14-03-2008
Full Flexer

Default Fitting

Well now I have everything it looks like Easter will be the start of my frustration trying to fit it all, isn't it sad when you know before you start there are going to be dramas.

Anyway, I will post the stories and some pics as I go - wish me luck
Old 14-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats going to be one capable truck!

Wish I could buy everything I want at once - but then I'll be away so much this year, it'll have to wait till about october now.

Good luck with fitting it all - hope you do plenty of pics and descriptions especially the hassles you have ie. solutions to hassles.
Old 14-03-2008
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

That sounds like a mission....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Post New Thread  Reply