WJ Towbar failure - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2008
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WJ Towbar failure

Already read an earlier thread on this.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...hlight=tow+bar

Have a similar problem.

WJ has a FACTORY tow bar (yes it's probably made by Hayman Reese). Stamped as Jeep, installed by Jeep from the factory. Tow bar indicates a tow capacity of 3500kg with 300 or 350kg of ball weight.

Loaded my buggy onto the trailer up in Brisbane on Sunday and my spotter noticed the hitch dropped 4" when the trailer was loaded. Got under the car and the tow bar mounts have been ripped from the chassis over time.

We're lucky the last of the connected tow bar didn't let go on the way up to Brisbane or there would have been a major accident.

The vehicle is with Jeep today and they're look at it, but I'm not holding my breath for them to take any responsibility. I'd expect their standard answer in this sitation would be that I've over loaded the Jeep's towing capacity, but I'm open to be surprised if they say otherwise.

From my visual inspection so far, I wouldn't be towing 1.5 tonne with the Jeep let alone 3.5 tonne. The tow bar is mounted using the FUEL TANK mounting points, which bolt through double skinned body panel, again from what I've seen so far. I wanted Jeep to look at it before pulling it apart myself.

Assuming Jeep fail to address the issue, we'll look at an insurance claim, although we'll have to be careful about it because we don't want the vehicle written off, which is what I suspect an insurance company would do with 'chassis' damage like this.

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 29-04-2008
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

G`Day Maddog, Good luck with jeep and your insurance. This problem has come to WH model as well there is a article in this site http://www.caradvice.com.au/1255/200...fety-concerns/ that might help
Old 29-04-2008
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh here we go again.

Bugger eh. I hope Jeep come through for you.

Sometimes I think manufacturers get caught up in using the tow rating as a major selling point and push hard for higher tow ratings than sensible ratings.

Matt
2013 WK2 3.0
CRDSTU Lift | Uneek BullBar | Mopar Skids
Old 29-04-2008
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After Jeep looked at it today, they have said that it's downward pressure on the ball, not towing pressure that's caused the problem (surprise surprise, Jeep). We've asked them to provide this in writing for the next step.

We'll also refer them to the other failures that have been reports and/or repaired after towing things like caravans or camper trailers.

I'll then start pulling the Jeep apart to look at how the points the tow bar is mounted to is constructed and if it's actually suitable for mounting a tow bar to, which I strongly doubt after the initial inspection.

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 29-04-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it was a different sort of issue last time wasn't it? Cracks in the chassis or something? how much towing have you done? Are you the original owner?
Old 29-04-2008
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

There was another guy on the forum some time ago with the same problem.
In my opinion the problem is due to dynamic ball weight exceeding the 350Kg max over undulating roads when the trailer & car are moving in opposite directions up & down.This is levering the towbar up & down which causes it to fail eventually.Dual axle trailers will exacerbate this effect if not fitted with load distributing suspension (wich most dont have).
Old 29-04-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

The 3.5 T rating only applies to the Diesel and the H.O overland..... The 4.7 is 2.950T and the 6cyl is approx 2.2T - if my memory serves correct.

Maddog im am truly sorry to here this news, I would love to here progress on this mater... I know that it will be a subject that some people like to embellish storys with more fiction then fact. What makes this almost impossible for people to comment on is that no-one knows ( other then you or anyone else loading the car ) how much down ball weight was on the car at time ect.

So people please do not jump to conclutions that you can't back up. There may well be a reason why a few have failed other then incorrect loading ect and i think if this is the case or not we would all like to here about it.

Lets keep this thread a positive one and not a bitch about how Jeeps sux like the last thread on this or we will lock it

Hemi