Standard Rims - New Rubber - what to do? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2008
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Standard Rims - New Rubber - what to do?

Hi all

am going looking for tyres to swap to this week - i am thinking Cooper ST's as i want something that is still good for the road as well as off road, and they look like they will provide better road grip than the STT's. The size i have been reccomended for my standard rims which are i think 7" on JK sport 07 is 265/78/16

a few questions

1. will they fit OK with no rubbing

2. can my dealer reprogramm my speedo for that size - ( anyone had it done - how much was it?)

3. Does anyone reccomend i look at something different from the Cooper ST's and why ie the Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ's look quite good

4. will i fit a spare 265/75/16 on the spare carrier on the back OK

Last edited by jbee; 08-06-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2008
(O |||||||| O)

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Mate,

I ran 285/75/16 on the standard rims with no lift for a few days, there was a bit of rubbing at full lock on the sway bar. I still have the rubbing now with the lift but it hasnt caused any probs since the sway bar is smooth.

265/75/16 isnt a huge increase on the stock size.

Not sure about the dealer I havent bothered trying yet.

The tyres I run are the cooper ST's also, I probaly wouldnt buy them again.. on road they are ok I loose a bit of economy.. off road they are certainly an improvement on the stockers but not great.

If I was to do it again I'd get something a bit more agressive on another set of rims and keep the factory rubber for the street.

Good luck its a hard call to make!
Old 09-06-2008
A.K.A Rentagheyde :-)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for good on orr road mix tyre go the mtz micky thompson worth the $$$ ive done 19,000 on mine now (got them the hour after getting the rubi) and there show no signs of wear few chips etc from off roading but very quiet on road too

my 2 c
Old 09-06-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want a true AT buy the Mickey Thompson MTZ. The MTZs perfrom well on every terrain I have tried, wet roads, dry roads, gravel, wet rocks, sharp rocks, rainforest mud, sand. The MTZs is best radial tyre I have owned this tyre is in leage of its own nothing comes close. I have used the following tyres, BFG ATs, Cooper ST, Michelin AT and the Hankook MT.
The MTZs are as loud as an AT and the grip on wet roads is excellent. With my other ATs I had to drive very slowly around wet corners because if I didn't, I would get over steer or under steer . With the MTZs I can go through a wet corner at the same speed as if it was dry and get zero under or over steer.
The MTZs also have the big side bitter which give the sidewalls a little more protection and they give heaps more traction for climbing out of muddy ruts.
Old 09-06-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was very reluctant to put BF Goodrich Mud terrains on our jeep, because of noise, wear and road handling abilities , the latter being because Jullie mostly drives it and was worried about the mud terrians hanging on on a wet roads specially with the jeep lifted, well i am very very surprised there is only noise after you rotate then prob for first 2k, so far we have done 30k and they are half worn, and never has it let go on wet roads, and offroad , sand they bite in unless deflated , mud they empty well and dig, rocks gravel etc they grip well, i have had all terrian tyres before and i truly beleive these mud terrians will wear just as well and have the bonus of being a bit more aggresive offroad, i will be replacing them again with mud terrians when the time comes
Old 09-06-2008
pink bits r good

Location: i sometimes go to my own world, but it's ok they know me there
What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mate im running 285/75/16s they rub at full lock but no dramas i hate the coopers they go hard we have had them crack around the bead when aired down i would not recomend them (awaits flamming) i am running maxxis bighorns and love them they are great off road and are very quiet on road and are very good value

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
Old 09-06-2008
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the input so far - i have just read the 4wd monthly tyre review which recommends the Pirelli Scorpion A/T, and from the test it seems to be an outstanding tyre in the dirt as well as on road yet it does not look near as aggressive as some of them, has anyone tried these and found them to be as good as claimed in the article?