some newbie questions RE: Commander - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-07-2008
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default some newbie questions RE: Commander

Gday, time has come to upgrade/replace our present 4B we are a family of 5 youngest kid is 12 oldest 17,i looked at the Commander last year and was sorta put of by its looks and didnt do much more research on it.
So now having had a good look on the web this seems like a possability, i was looking at a Prado mainly because of the 7 seats but am not impressed with the amount of diff failures and now noisy D4D motors R yer the cost too.
Took the family down to the local Jeep dealer did the usaul tried ever car for seating comfort etc etc was looking at the Wrangler original but a bit to snug for the 3 kids to fit in the back (they do fight a bit too which wouldnt help being so close to each other ) this was because we where after a manual (not many manufactures make these now) not interested in a Nissan Patrol and looks like the Prado maybe next year will drop the manual choice.
But the wife was resonably impressed with the commander but was disapointed because its not a manual but has now said an auto will do.
So we didnt take any for a test drive am organising a test this weekend (this would be a second hand one for the test as i want to have it for at least 1-1 half hours to get a real feel for the car).
I had a look thur the commander forum section noticed some members mods (2" lift)but after ringing around the usaual 4B places no one seems to have any extras for the commander which is a little off putting, so can anyone point me in the right direction to as who does theses mods in Sydney and any relisitic costs for this as the clearance is a little low for my liking.
I have no doubt about the off road performance of the commander but is there anything that i should be aware of i know they are killing the model in early 2010 and in it place will be a 7 seater Grand Cheroke service costs seem a bit high $380 for a general service id want it waxed and polished for that sorta money .
Any warranty claims gone wrong you know dealers saying not covered because etc etc, anyone had any issues with the air intake being located at the front (bloody bizzare location to put it) in reguards to water getting in? we dont ford any major rivers but creeks and small streams yes.
Not to many question i hope but there will be more later after this weekend maybe
Cheers
John
Old 01-08-2008
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gidday,

Macquarie 4x4 has done some work on Commander.OME springs/Bilsten Shocks. Have'nt lifted mine yet but will go this way when finances permit.
I have had customers cars worked on by Macquarie and they do a good job.

Cheers

Mason.
Old 03-08-2008
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well had a test drive yesterday started with a 2007 Wrangler diesel manual ws fairly impressed with the handling but found it seemed to lack a little power this may have been my fault not being familiar with the car there seemed to be nothing down low (below 2000rpm) and the gearing seemed a little to close together only was able to use 6th over 110Ks.
But in all i would buy one.
After the Wrangler they had a 2006 65th Commander why i was really there for grabbed the keys statred her Hmmm very nice sound that motor has went to foot my foot on the brake to engage drive but intead found the accelerator then found the brake pedal then noticed how tight the pedal area is way to narrow.
Ok out of the lot and up Warringah Rd lets see what its got gave it a boot full and bloody heck it hauls arse could feel yourself pushed back in the seat extremly impressed the auto box was one of the smoothest ive driven as well, but alais i did not feel comfortable driving the car to me it was too wide lack of rear view did concern me as well but the drive train and motor combination is brillant just the body lets it down so its going to be a no go for me.
So its back to the drawing board at the moment seeing as we want a 7 seater this is very limiting in cars avaliable so maybe next year the need for a 7 seater will not be required and will open up a lot more options, at this stage the Wranglers looks good and the Cherokee are on top of the list but seeing as after 2009 a 7 seater Cherokee is planned do we wait or kick one of the kids outa the house
Thks for the feed back
Old 22-08-2008
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

G'day mate, welcome. The Commander is the same platform as the Grand Cherokee with a different body. The same OME suspension fits both (medium for a vehicle with no bullbar or winch) this will give you 50mm of lift. The experts say if you go over this height you could encounter drive train problems. If you are planning to do some serious towing Prado wont get near the CRD Commander - I was nearly swayed too, but at 2500Kg for the Prado VS 3500Kg for the Commamder / Grand - the anwser was obvious.
OME have now finally released their front strut for this model, as my vehicle will testify. The lift is just right, reduced / non-existant body roll and tracks very true. If you can afford it add the polyair bags to the back for towing, it makes a lot of difference. Mine was purchased new in June 2008 knowing that the suspension upgrade was a "given" - even for the Prado.
cheers johnv

Last edited by johnv; 22-08-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo
Post New Thread  Reply