2" lift and tyre sizes - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-09-2008
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2" lift and tyre sizes

Sry to bring this up again but rather than highjack someone elses thread, i have a few alarm bells ringing.
I dropped into a tyre place and am changing the new factory ones to a better off roaders but after reading some comments about larger tyres rubbing i reliezed i am getting 265/70/17 and now am a bit concerned am i better off sticking with 245/70/17 (i want the 70 rather than the 65) and by doing this will it prevent the rubbing also will these 265 increase steering pressure on steering wheel (when turning car and driving i noticed the steering is a little heavy with standard tyres but will it be heavy with wider tyres?).
Second getting a 2' lift at the same time but am only going springs only not shockies, was told it wont be a problem but now am not to sure would it be best to get new shockies as well or leave the standards on?.
Am i being lead down the garden path.
Sry its a 06 grand limited CRD.
Cheers
John
Old 22-09-2008
Poly Performance Junkie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

John,

I had the Cooper STT 245/70/17's fitted to my old WH and they cleared with no problems. I know guys in the states have also gone to the 265 with and without offset rims and 2" lift with minor rubbing at articulation offroad.

As for the lift its better to upgrade the front strut at the same time if they are doing the springs and the back you can do in your own time if its a money thing.

Just my 2c worth.

JTO
Old 22-09-2008
Poly Performance Junkie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also see this thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=77699

JTO
Old 22-09-2008
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Gday John
I have the 06WH and fitted 265/70 Cooper ATR's on an 8" wide rim,, with a +23 mil offset. I have not had any rubbing issues, maybe with some heavy articulation,, ?? The spare will fit up into its home with a little manipulation,, but its snug and never moves.
I also have a 4" lift on mine.
Jim
Old 23-09-2008
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thks for the info my gut feeling was it didnt sound right what the guy was saying, so ive cancelled the lift and gone back to 245/70/17.
I did ring anoughter place and asked some question and yer you need to do both shockies and springs at the same time shockies have to be revalved and slightly longer, so lift will have to wait now till we get back from hols.
Cheers
John
Old 02-10-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've fitted 275/55 x 17 tyres to the standard rims and encountered no problems sofar. I didn't change the spare so don't know if it would have easily fitted. The OD is almost the same as the standard 245.
Old 08-10-2008
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back from Hols, after worrying about not enough grd clearance found the standard height quite good handled the track and river bed with ease.
Seeing this was the first trip found the Grand a very nice car to drive fuel useage was excellent averaged 11.7 towing 3/4 tonne trailer and 5 passengers a lot better than i expected. (this was after taking it unloaded to run it in a little before hooking up the trailer even that econemy was good at 10.7)
Had it first major test on some SOAKED red clay track slight incline and about 10 M long, towing the trailer i had doughts it wouldnt make it but creamed it extremly impressed with the Quadra drive II.
And the best thing was it didnt break down only prob is the front pasenger side brake has a squealing noise suspect the pads or some thing is rubbing the disk causing this seems to come and go not to fussed but goes in for the 1000K check up on Monday and have mentioned this to the service department.
All up brillant car and would recommend one to anyone looking at one.
Post New Thread  Reply