A puzzled newbie - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down A puzzled newbie

Ok. About 1 month ago i finally made the leep into a jeep...(wow. that sounds really corny) I got a 99 model WJ LAredo 4.0l. Being one of the first ones released in the counrty i doesnt come standard with some things. Like a CD player, rear auxilary power, etc So im going to list all the things that i have any issues with hoping that someone out there knows how to solve the problem.

Ok...

1. No CD stacker but it has the wiring harness (i think its the harness anyway). Its under the rear seat on the passanger side. Can i put any stacker in there and get a adapter plug? Or do i need OEM. Can it be from a different year or do the have different plug shapes for different year releases?

2. The rear auxilary plug. Ive pulled off the rear panel and the wires that are meant to be there (wjjeeps.com told me so) arnt anywhere to be found. Whats the easiest way to install it as the hole is in the panle for the plug to slip in to.

3. Thinking of putting on a different exhaust/extractor system and a pod filter set up to help the engine breathe. Anyone got suggestions or feedback on the process or weather its worth doing it at all.

4. I read on the forum about break discs warping. Is replacing them (with the 02 onwards upsized setup) just a matter of taking the old ones off and bolting the new ones on? Or is there all sorts of messing around with breaks and cables etc.

I think that is all for the moment. Thanks to anyone that can offer me guidance.

I took the jeep on its first 4x4 adventure to landcruiser park (Outside kilcoy, Qld) and despite the lack of clearance and some traction issues (which im fixing now... Road tyres arnt really 4x4 worthy.) Both myself and my mates were impressed with how well it behaved. Cant think of any car that looks so good and goes so well.

Thanks all
D-Train

Oh. One last thing. Has anyone tried to install the overhead display unit in to there jeep. Because mine was one of the first released in Aus it didnt come released with one. Im keen to get one in there. Id be keen to know if it can go in and how.

Last edited by dtrain4567; 05-01-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Wires under seat are for amp. stacker goes in boot rhs. can use a/mkt stacker but need adapter & only avail for alpine.
Is the plug on rhs as thats where mine is.
Exhaust mod sounds good but prob doesnt add much hp.Use K&N filter insert as a pod will be backward step.
Later model calipers will bolt on but are costly.Try new slotted rotors.
Old 06-01-2009
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gday mate

I've got a 99/00 WJ 4.0 as well. Maybe I can shed some light.

1. The amp in my grand is behind the driver under the rear seats, along with the tyre levers. The stacker is under the rear seat on the passenger side. I think I prefer this rather than in the rear as I am often on the beach with the dog and the stacker would be exposed to the dogs, sand and water.

2. There is no wiring in the 99/00 Laredo for the rear power outlet. A good auto sparky should be able to run a cable under the trims to the battery. You will need a plug as well and make sure the cable is large enough to supply the right voltage. A smaller cable might lose some voltage on the way to the back.

3. How much do you want to spend. As far as I know Wildcat extractors (made by Genie) are the only brand available for the 4.0l. You'll need a high flow cat converter, performance muffler and 2.5" pipes. There are some good options in the US if you are prepared to spend $$$$. I can put you in touch with a bloke who is regarded as a WJ guru in the US. A pod filter will draw in hot engine air into the intake which with egate any benefits of a free breathing pod filter. A K&N flat panel with the intake intact works well. K&N do a Fuel Injection Performance Kit (FIPK) if you want to research that.

4. Its a known fact that the OEM discs warp. I think there is plenty of ifo on this on wjjeeps.com. There are aftermarket options that bolt straight on.

5. I also dont have the overhead console. I believe the wiring and plug are somewhere under the dash. You would need a console (second hand) and harness to run under the dash. I get nervous when I think about pulling out the dash, roof lining and A pillar trim so I havent bothered with it.

Hope this helps mate

Matt
2013 WK2 3.0
CRDSTU Lift | Uneek BullBar | Mopar Skids
Old 06-01-2009
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

IMHO- Don't waste your time trying to get more power out of the I6.. Just leave it alone, if you want power buy the V8 before you spend any money trying to polish a turd so to speak...

I6 is just to small in the WJ's there great in XJ's but WJ is to heavy.

(Sorry matty not trying to bag out your car.) If you can live with the power of them there great but when you start trying to get power gains of 5 or 10kws out of the I6 D-train your throwing money down the toilet in a WJ.
Old 06-01-2009
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree Cam.

The 4.0 in the grand is under powered but there is nothing wrong with trying to get a little more hp. To swap to a V8 would cost more than engine upgrades!!! Free flowing intake and exhaust would be more than enough for the 4.0 and give it more torque.

If I had known a little more about these when I bought mine then maybe I would have got the V8.......maybe not. None the less I am happy with my 4.0 and if it ever dies I will put in a stroker straight 6.

D-Train - This mob is in Perth. They sell Airaid intakes and Borla exhausts. Maybe worth a look.

http://www.cruisinon.ws/j_grandchero...rmance.asp#top

Matt
2013 WK2 3.0
CRDSTU Lift | Uneek BullBar | Mopar Skids
Old 06-01-2009
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjeeper View Post
I agree Cam.

The 4.0 in the grand is under powered but there is nothing wrong with trying to get a little more hp. To swap to a V8 would cost more than engine upgrades!!! Free flowing intake and exhaust would be more than enough for the 4.0 and give it more torque.

http://www.cruisinon.ws/j_grandchero...rmance.asp#top

To put a V8 in his car he owns - yes it would but to sell his and buy the V8 is the best option.... These I6's are very hard to get good powergains out of and spending $3000 on exhast headers- pod filters new exhast ect is a waste... They need more then that to get any grunt.. and it really is over capitalising Imho

All you'll end up with is a droning noisey peaky 6 pack and it would drive you nuts on a long trip, and lets face it when you have a 4x4 alot of time behind the wheel is highway kms getting to that favorite track...

Id sell it and buy a V8 or keep it and enjoy it for what it is.... They have plenty of power just the V8s have heaps more........
Old 06-01-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjeeper View Post
Gday mate

The stacker is under the rear seat on the passenger side.
This is where my stacker goes also. But i only have the plug. The stacker isnt there. From what ive read almost every year that brought out a different setup of cd player/stacker units. Makes it hard to know weather i would get the right one if i got one second hand. Just need to make sure the plug and mounting points are the same i guess.

I knew when i got the car that it was underpowered compared to the V8. But this car is my daily driver in to work in the city every day (50kms each way). I decided to go with the 4.0 as a cheaper running option than the V8. Im getting roughly 12-13lts per 100kms. Most things i read stated that the V8 got around 17-20lts for the same KMs. With the way fuel will be costing by the time it goes back up i couldnt afford a $200+ per week fuel bill. I know that putting a exhaust,etc on it is like polishing a turd but at least it wont have flies on it... haha.

It was just one of the ideas that i had floating in my head. Im happy with the power. I just thought that i would put it out there and see what info came back. Annoying engine noise, price, actual power gained, etc.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Post New Thread  Reply