Getting shafted by the Americans - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-01-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Getting shafted by the Americans

My 2001 Auto TJ has 31's on a 2" lift... I want to replace the sea anchor skid pan as it's always the first thing to get me hung up. My solution is to organise a 33 Engineering high clearance skid plate since mid December 08.

*rant begins here*

Been in contact (if you could say that) with 33 Engineering (manufacturer) via email, he gave me a price, gave me a postage quite - due to its size it must be shipped in two boxes $115 USD for the first and $190 USD approx for the other.... I shoot off an email saying that's alright, lets get the ball rolling, last contact was 27th December.
Fine, things have been quiet on his end - hopefully he's on holidays...

So, I bounced a couple of emails back from Mesa4x4 (one of the two suppliers) and was informed that unfortunately they wont ship this item internationally for whatever reason. Really nice people there, straight answers and quick response time but a no-go.

No worries, onto the next and final contact - offroadtoystore.
I rang them up quickly and spoke to a Mike... Nice guy, he told me to email him which I snapped out within five minutes, his name in the title, the item im after and the destination so it sticks out... A week later, still no reply. Hopefully they're on holudays too... I just re-sent that email, still with some hope attached.

Ok so thats both 33 engineering's suppliers and the manufactuer in the states not helping out... HOW HARD IS IT? Is there some law about not giving Australians skid pans?

The only real help I've had is from Wooders (there's a pattern forming here)... Helping me out with the SYE, shaft, MML, 1" BL, rear shock relocator brackets, Tc shifter, rear upper adjustable control arms, new fan clutch and the rear window metal bar to stop it sagging.

I'm overseas in a shit place so I dont have time to make 400 phone calls trying to massage an answer out of the Americans when it's midnight here. I did government related military sales and procurement for a number of years and know it's really not as hard as some of these companies make out to be.

Dimensions, weight, destination, method.... quote, confirmation, payment, shipment, happy customer. It's 2009 men, sort it out.

*rant ends here*

rokmen is for 03-06
rubicon express has no info on their website
nth degree is for 03-06
skyjacker - no reply
33 eng - no help
fabricate - no time

OK. What do I do? Clearly violence won't help...

Last edited by TJIM; 19-01-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 19-01-2009
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

last year on another forum some guy posted a drawing with the dimensions of a high clearance skid.
if you do a search you might be able to find it and then fabricate it yourself, or if you don't have time get a fabricator to make it for you and powder coat.
with mine I just modified it and seems a lot better now, but a high clearance one would be better
Old 19-01-2009
AJOR Gold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJIM View Post
OK. What do I do?
Um, wait till they're all back from holidays? A lot of companies, especially manufacturers don't get back till today.
Old 19-01-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Of course the good Australian companies prevail! Problem solved, got an email from Caloffroad this morning. Jolly good.

Last edited by TJIM; 19-01-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 19-01-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Violence will rule out all confusion.
Old 19-01-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, Kiwi member very interested....
What did caloffroad have to offer?
Thanks.
Old 19-01-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The aussies have made my day, it's all happening.

I've gone with the Skyjacker High Clearance Skid Plate, which is a one piece design, it has turned and bent edges for strength and support. Got a good price from Cal who sounds like a really nice dude, snapped some emails back and got it organised within about two hours all up.

Just got off the phone with Wooders. All good news, the other required pieces are being rounded up when they arrive.

SYE
Tail Shaft
Adj control arms
MML
1" BL
Shifter bracket
etc

As I baught the jeep with a 1" Transfer Case lowering kit, with it's spacers the bottom of the belly pan sits approx 4.5" from the chassis bottom edge. With the skyjacker kit installed and things tucked away I am hoping to have the bottom edge of the new skid sitting about 1.5" from the chassis rails... Gaining about 3" of clearance, not only vertically but now no stupid bend and rounded edges to get snagged.

During the install which should be around 13th Feb with some good dudes I'll get pics and do a bit of a McWrite-up for you guys.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261181 theres a bit of a write up here if anyone is interested in this product also.