arkaba station flinders ranges - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2009
not just a web wheeler

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default arkaba station flinders ranges

Going to Lake Eyre over the Easter break, was wondering how good is the wheeling around this area? Are there any tough tracks around the area or are they more of a scenic nature?? Not looking for hardcore either, but a challenge would be nice.
Old 13-03-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

In terms of tougher terrain, try the Arkaroola Sanctuary, particularly the north eastern end or the Gammon Ranges. Camping beside the dry creek in Arkaroola is magic - especially in the middle of winter. Definitely do the Ridgetop Tour if you go out that way... it is well worth it.

Can't say that the roads and tracks around Lake Eyre are difficult. You can get away with Full time 4WD unless the tracks have been washed away somewhat in short stretches. The one through Muloorina is the easiest, the one out from William Creek is not too difficult also....

If you go all the way up to William Creek, you may as well go further to Oodnadatta, and on to Dalhousie Springs.

Note what I said about the flies in the other thread. They are likely to be a problem in Autumn so food will prolly need to be prepared [and eaten] inside the tent at times.

Last edited by eksjay; 13-03-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 13-03-2009
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Would love to go to Dalhousie again, but in 4 days, this trip will become a cannonball run. Was hoping to base camp at Arkaba, lock the jeep in low range around the area, and drive up to the lake for the day.
Am i being ambitious????
Old 13-03-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsuzi View Post
Would love to go to Dalhousie again, but in 4 days, this trip will become a cannonball run. Was hoping to base camp at Arkaba, lock the jeep in low range around the area, and drive up to the lake for the day.
Am i being ambitious????
No, not at all. I did exactly what you are suggesting back in 1998 during the Easter break…. And that was ex-Sydney ! Cannonball run to Broken Hill, then cut across to the North via Yunta.

I think the Lake Eyre Yacht Club is predicting Water in Belt Bay which is best approached from ABC Point [William Creek], but Muloorina Station is the closest to the Lake shore and less distance to cover beyond Marree. Not sure if water will be visible at that location, though.

Dalhousie might be a stretch if you are short on time.

Always have a plan B. If there is continuous rainfall and the Oodnadatta Track is closed, and you have gotten as far as Marree, the station will be the best access.

Akaba and Surrounds is a nice place to chill out. The only place I imagine you would need to go 4Lo is the Gammons/Arkaroola and very few stretches in the Flinders.
Old 13-03-2009
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

It seems youve got to pay to get on any 4wd track out there!!!

What a shame!
Old 13-03-2009
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure where you're from suzi but if you're a regular driver up the Vic High Country then you'll pretty find much everything in the Flinders & Gammon Ranges will be of an easy to intermediate standard. Even the tracks on the private properties that are rated as difficult or for experienced drivers only, are fairly straight forward for vehicles with good ground clearance & low gearing. Still it's very nice country with alot of history & tracks to explore. The pick of the Private properties is probably Warraweena & worth 3 to 4 days in that area.
Old 16-03-2009
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Have heard that the Bendlebury ranges has some of the toughest tracks in the Flinders. Can anybody confirm this???
Post New Thread  Reply