Weekend at Wilpena Pound - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Weekend at Wilpena Pound

Hi everyone, due to work I will be heading up to Port Augusta next fortnight and instead of driving back for the weekend thought I would camp out at Wilpena Pound. I have never been up this way before so have no idea on where to go or what tracks are available. I reckon some of you would have been here on the way through on a trip elsewhere and was after some info on whats available to do around the area.

Any advice would be more than welcome and the girlfriend and I would greatly appreciate it so we can plan it out in advance.

Cheer's
Shane
Old 01-07-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Wilpena, nah, the campground and facilities arent that fantastic.
Rawnsley Park about 10k's south of the pound is better as a camp ground with facilities IMHO. (assuming you want a caravan park style campground. Rawnsley also has a pool (in winter?) and a good restaurant on the property, which in privately owned. They have self guided drives on the property too i believe, but havent dont them myself.

If you are camping/roughing it a bit more then there are some good spots along the Brachina George Road. All have a small fee to pay (honesty system) market sites and drop dunnies.

Get an info guide when you go up there, but some drives include:
-willow springs / Skytrek is a must do. Allow 6 hours +
-do the Brachina George drive, which has some great views of the pound and the gorge.
-do a loop up to Blinman, lunch at the pub and check out the town.
-there another gorge with aboriginal carvings, cant think of its name at the mo, but its up past Wilpena pound on the right. Bit of a drive in but worth a look if you like that kind of thing.

enjoy!
Old 01-07-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for the wad of info, but I just sent this to a mate the other day and thought it might be of use to you.

Personally, (to save you wading through all this), I like the Blinman - Glass Gorge area; have a look at camping off the PAR up there, and do the Artimore drive.
Of if you want comfort and not to go as far, check out Rawnsley as Richo suggested (either cabins or camping), and Skytrek or one of the southern pay-to-drive trails.

http://www.flinders.outback.on.net/traveltips.htm#4WD Touring1

4WD Touring
The Flinders Ranges and Outback have some truly great four-wheel-drive experiences. No matter what your skill level or experience, you'll find a trail that will make for a memorable journey. Several station owners and tourist operators have placed increased emphasis on the 4WD tourist and have opened up vast tracts of new land for exploration. The range of 4WD treks in the Flinders covers areas from near Wilmington, in the Southern Flinders, to Arkaroola, in the rugged Northern Flinders. Details of the treks are:
ARKAPENA SCENIC ADVENTURE: The track starts gently, following the foothills of the Chace Range and ends up on top of the ABC Range which has taken its name from its 26 peaks. The 40km round trip takes three hours. Keys for access to the route can be hired from Rawnsley Park Station. Bookings can be made on Ph +61 8 8648 0008. {Done it, easy enough, pleasant}
SKYTREK: This trek goes to the top of Mount Caernarvon (923m). It's a full day drive and takes visitors to the second highest self-drive point in the Flinders. Skytrek is on Willow Springs Station run by Brendan and Carmel Reynolds. Bookings can be made on Ph +61 8 8648 0016. Directions are given when the keys for the route are hired. {Done it, mostly easy, plenty of long boring stretches, would pay to know how to drive up and down steep ascents/descents properly, and definitely need a low range gearbox, good views from the top}
A PINCH OF SALT: This tour starts from the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna and goes to Ross and Jane Fargher's Nilpena Station and then to Lake Torrens. It takes about three hours. Bookings can be made on 8648 4844 and maps are available from the hotel.
ORATUNGA TRACK: This trek is on Ian and Di Fargher's Angorichina Station, east of Blinman. There are two loops and a day should be set aside to see some of the best country the Flinders has to offer. The track climbs to the summit of Mt. Lucius. Bookings can be made on Ph +61 8 8648 4863. {Done part of it, nice area, a bit further north}
ARKABA STATION: Dean and Lizzie Rasheed offer Top of the Range 4WD self-drive or tag along tours. The trek runs through the stunning hills of Arkaba with spectacular scenery, including the Elder Range. Bookings on Ph +61 8 8648 0048 or Ph +61 8 8648 4195.{Done it, easy enough}
ARKAROOLA: Run by the Sprigg family, Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary offers some of Australia's toughest four-wheel-driving. There are tag along tours of the Echo Camp Backtrack. Full details are available at the Sanctuary's Visitor Information Centre on Ph 1800 676 042 or Ph +61 8 8370 8454 or Fax +61 8 370 9360.{Done a number of tracks, famous spot, fair way further north of you}
ARGADELLS: This trek provides access to Mt. Arden (1000m) and gives fine views to Wilpena Pound, Lake Torrens, Spencer Gulf and Port Augusta. Camping areas are available. Signposted tracks and detailed maps help keep you on the trail. Bookings with Lucy Smart on Ph +61 8 8648 6210.{Apparently pretty easy, pleasant}
ALPANA STATION: John and Jan Henery offer two trips. Mt. Samuel is a self-drive track which offers a real challenge and covers about 70km. Bookings on Ph +61 8 8648 4864. {Done it, probably the toughest track you can pay to do in parts, although plenty of easy driving in between}
WILMINGTON: 4WD trips to Mt. Horrocks are available, with magnificent views overlooking northern Spencer Gulf. Camping is available on the property. Information and bookings from David and Heidi Freeman on Ph +61 8 8667 5057.
Out behind Blinman are the Public Access Routes of Nuccaleena {very rocky - mind your tyres, not much fun driving, old mine is interesting}, Patawarta {highly recommended} and Artimore {highly recommended}. These tracks traverse more station country, enabling visitors to access sites of interest in the area. Nuccaleena is home to one of many failed Flinders copper mines, complete with a stone chimney stack and tumble-down buildings.
The route to Patawarta is barely a car-width in places snaking along a rocky creek bed gully, to the base of the hill that overlooks the Artimore Valley from a lofty 1015 metres. The valley that forms the Artimore track was once one of the biggest sheep runs in the colony. Drought, overstocking and rabbits, brought a sudden end to that pastoral dream and the ruins are all that remain. Further north on the road towards Balcanoona, head quarters of the Gammon Ranges National Park, is the ever-popular Chambers Gorge with its rock-art wall and waterholes. The drive in follows the Chambers Creek watercourse on its way to its outfall at Lake Frome. A little further is Moro Gorge on the back of the Stirrup Iron Range, in Nepabunna Aboriginal Land. Both Moro and Chambers are best seen after rain, the waterholes are full and birdlife aplenty.
Beyond Balcanoona is the famous "Ridgetop" ride to Sillers Lookout, a guided 4WD trek available from Arkaroola Village. It's wind-in-the-hair stuff as you ride in the back of their utes to arrive at a postage stamp sized car-park with a glorious panorama from up high. Other self-drive tracks will take you to Paralana Hot Springs, while out west is the track to Yudnamutna, another failed copper mine with massive infrastructure left to the elements.
The nearby Strzelecki Track picks up the pace on the way north to Innamincka, the Cooper Creek and Innamincka Regional Reserve. The Cooper wanders from Queensland's Channel Country all the way to Lake Eyre, a veritable lifeblood of epic proportions. Permanent waterholes and the Coongie Lakes are a magnet for birdlife, set in the red sandhills and gibber plains of the Strzelecki Desert.
At the head of that other "track" is Birdsville, on the Diamantina River. It lies on the eastern flank of the world's largest parallel sand dune desert, the Simpson. This is one of the world's last true motoring challenges, a crossing of 1000 brilliant red sand dunes. Far from being a barren place, the Simpson features incredible biological diversity and if you're lucky enough to catch it after the rains, the place is awash with the colour of opportunistic wildflowers.
Further west are the colours of the Painted Desert and near Coober Pedy the Breakaway country of the Moon Plain. The jump-ups and mesas are incredible landforms, so too are the curious bubbling mound-springs of Wabma-Kadarbu on the Oodnadatta Track.
Along the Birdsville Track, two stations - Kalamurina and Etadunna - allow four-wheel -driving with side trips off the track. Kalamurina offers a 90km track along the Warburton Creek with good fishing and camping spots. The cost is $20 a vehicle a day. Details from Trevor Edwards on Ph +61 8 8675 8310.
From Etadunna, there is a 20km track to the old Bethesda Mission, settled by the Germans in 1865. It's situated on the shores of Lake Killapaninna which fills with water when the Cooper floods. Keys have to be collected from the station and the cost is $5 a day or $10 for overnight camping. Contact Debbie Graf on Ph +61 8 8675 8308.
Up-to-date information on 4WD tracks in the Flinders and Outback is available from regular Desert Parks Bulletins published by National Parks and Wildlife South Australia. Information is available on the Desert Parks toll free hotline on Ph 1800 816 078.

Last edited by Tonto; 01-07-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hi Richo and Tonto, thanks for the wealth of info. Now will need to digest it over the weekend to see what to do!

Cheers
Old 03-07-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Wow, that is a lot of info.

When I die, I want to be buried somewhere in the area Beltana has a cemetery.

It is God's country.

I kind of enjoy the main campground at Wilpena. Pitch a tent, and wake up the next morning to see a backdrop of golden foiled cliffs above you in the distance. Lots to see and do. Do the walk to the pound lookout. There is also a nearby lookout where you can see the Elder Range - see it in most books picturing the area.

Definitely do Brachina Gorge, road to Blinman, and I would even do a camp at Arkaroola on the banks of the creek - it gets very cold down there - bitterly. Definitely do the Ridgetop tour.

The road between Blinman and Balcanoona can invite high speeds, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to keep your current set of tyres.

Maybe loop back through Copley and see the mountain range from the outside on the main North Road back down to Parachilna, and Hawker. The backdrop at Edeowie Creek is breathtaking.

Also the view from the North Road is different when you head North, as when you head South.

I am jealous.
Old 03-07-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
The road between Blinman and Balcanoona can invite high speeds, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to keep your current set of tyres.
.... X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
I am jealous.
.... X2
Old 20-07-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Well what a weekend this has been!

Got back early this afternoon because I was just to knackered to drive back early this morning and go to work.

Thanks to all that offered advice and information on where to go and stay as it proved invaluable.

I left Adelaide early Saturday morning and picked up the girlfriend in Pt Augusta just after 9am. From then we took it pretty easy all the way up to Wilpena Pound and stopped at just about every lookout, hill, walk or cave that there is. We made the pound just on half three and made a mad dash up to the lookout for a spectacular view which got better as the sun went down. Ended up staying at the pound (not to bad but bloody cold) and headed over to do Skytrek the next morning. What a great set up they have got there. Be warned though it does take all day (took us 5 hours and we only stopped a couple of times) The view from the top of Mt Caernarvon was absolutely breathtaking. The formations have to be seen to be believed. Have to say that the caretakers there Brendan and Carmel where very helpful and to be honest were the first people to offer real county hospitality, seems to be disappearing in the more touristy places. So left Skytrek at 3pm and headed back to Pt Augusta which we made by 5.

Would love to have a couple of weeks up there to explore, but I would think this would still not be enough.

Cheers once again and to any thinking of heading up that way, even if its only a weekend its definitely possible.

Shane
Post New Thread  Reply